Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what yall think ?

Default what yall think ?

well i got my rolex sold, so now i can get a rover, im looking at a project 2a 88 ex-mod, that is stripped down to the frame, basically the bodywork is off of it and so is the bulkhead, the picts the guy sent of the frame and bulkhead look good, but im waiting for more pictures

he is asking $2500 and he says it is complete and ran when he parked it, it has the LR 2.25 engine, the engine and tranny and gearbox are still in it, he thinks the engine is stuck but doesn't know, the 88 has been stored inside a garage

any opinions ? keep in mind i want a project

me and dad are very mechanical, this wont be our first restoration project or our last we have lots of tools too

go ahead and post some pictures, as it's always easier to give you an honest opinion when we can see it. any idea on the mileage, or condition of the frame itself?

for what it's worth, i bought my NADA 109 6cyl, which i drove 400 miles home, for about that same price here in california. with the combined knowledge present on this board, im sure we pictures we can help you make a more informed choice.
    Last edited by O'Brien; 02-09-2008 at 12:12 AM.
    Matt
    '66 88 GM powered
    '89 SWB RRC (sold)
    '67 109 NADA 6cyl. Station Wagon #2 (sold)

i will try to get frame and bulkhead picts uploaded tonight, no idea on the mileage, the frame is good so says the owner and from the picts it looks good but it has been painted so it is hard to tell

sounds like you got a steal on your 109, in california at that too

frame and bulkhead picts

Last edited by autoguy; 02-09-2008 at 12:03 AM.

The bulkhead looks very good, but people should hold off on their sandblasting until they are ready to prime, IMMEDIATELY afterwards.

The engine may very likely have some minor rust between the rings and bores. If it can't be broken with a breaker bar on the front pulley, I'd keep looking. He's done a reasonably good job on the frame, and MOD frames are nice, but in all honesty, $2500 for a dissassembled RHD truck is a lot of money.

I paid $1500 for my project car. It was a galvanized frame with 2.25L and gearbox, axles, and suspension already on it, just like the one you're looking at. The rest of the car (bulkhead, body, etc etc) came with it in parts and was included in the price. I agree with Terrys, $2500 seems high.

Myron

For a disassembled project truck with a stuck engine it is a lot of $. If it was a Galvanized chassis I could see paying that but you have no idea what is beneath that paint yet do you? It could conceal a lot.

Is he sure EVERYTHING is there? How long ago was this project abandoned? $2500 is the asking price or what you got him down to?
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

thanks for confirming my suspicions that $2500 was high but I wasn't too sure what series projects go for

he started at $2700 and I asked if he would take $2500, I figure I could talk him down some more

what should I offer price wise ?

nope, no idea what is under the paint on the frame rust wise, when/if he gets me more pictures we will drive 6 hours and go look at it
    Last edited by autoguy; 02-09-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Usually you offer a lot less at first! you must be new to horsetrading!

We need more info on exactly what is there to give you a good idea.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

$2500 is high for a disassembled Rover, standard frame with a stuck engine. One question to ask is why did he park the vehicle? Why did he disassemble it? What did he think it needed?

When you go to see the Rover next, take an old chisel and a hammer. Bang away at the box sections of the frame, and the crossmembers, too. You could be buying a frame that's 90% there or 10% there - they look the same under a coat of paint. Perhaps the owner did some welding and patching and he will show it to you. Remember that frames rust from inside, not the outside.

A car that's been sitting like that will need all new brake cylinders[ did he run new brake lines when he worked on the frame?], maybe clutch cylinders, maybe a wiring harness [good to do with the body off the car]. As for the engine, see if you can turn it at the crankcase or use the crank handle. Don't force it, just see if it will turn. If it's had time to corrode, you may find you need to remove the head and pistons, and install rings.

I bought a daily driver II-A for $2500, drove it 250 miles home and have continued to enjoy it. You can do better for $2,500. With a Series Rover, there's always plenty to do. They're wonderful but eternal projects.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Default buy it cheap

My 109 had a stuck engine. It also had a frame that needed repair work. It was free. Keep in mind the money you will end up putting in the project and then what it will be worth when and if you want to sell it. They generally sell for a lot less than you have in them. A dismantled 88 with a stuck engine can't be worth much more than 500 bucks, a thousand at the most. Two final thoughts, why would someone get it down to the frame and then weld in a non-standard rear crossmember? And of course: don't make offers until you have seen what you are buying and then done your homework. Good luck, looks like fun.

Best, Michael