Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive ?s

Quote Originally Posted by autoguy
    I think it is a regular rover, the owner did not mention anything different
    The Belgians bought a bunch of 2 wheel drive Land Rovers for airfield work. They tried to save money and maintenance with them as they did not need 4X4 spending their lives runnign around on the tarmac. I think they weer SIII but could easily be proved wrong on that.

The Landy rags occasionally do an article on them.

I think the Minervas were all 4X4 and based on the Series 1.

Cheers
    Gregor

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie
    The Belgians bought a bunch of 2 wheel drive Land Rovers for airfield work. They tried to save money and maintenance with them as they did not need 4X4 spending their lives runnign around on the tarmac. I think they weer SIII but could easily be proved wrong on that.

The Landy rags occasionally do an article on them.

I think the Minervas were all 4X4 and based on the Series 1.

Cheers
    Gregor
    the rover im looking at buying is a series 3 and is not the Minervas, thanks for the info originaly this rover was fitted for radio

i will get the picts uploaded and posted soon
    Last edited by autoguy; 02-21-2008 at 11:34 PM.

Belgium 2wheel drive rover **** i havent bought it yet but if the weather is good than i am going to go look at it on saturday and hopefully bring it home sunday these arent my picts they are the owners picts

Last edited by autoguy; 02-21-2008 at 11:36 PM.

The panels look very good, but the interior shot reminds me why I prefer S2A. There is a guy selling one of these on LRO, and one sold on ebay last month, soewhere on Long Island for VERY cheap money. Every EX Mil Belgian I have seen has been in very good shape, except where the new owner messes it up.

When you think about it, there must be something bolted to the back of the transmission, in order to get the rear driveshaft over to the right side, so why not a transfer case. How else would they mount up a parking brake. Guess if Autoguy buys it, we'll know soon enuf.

Though I don't know for sure, the cheapest option for Rover and the Belgians was probably to just put in a non driven front axle, not put in a front drive shaft and leave the transfer case (just the case) itself as is with just the 2W High gearing in place and a plate over the front where the output shaft would be. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the transfer case is left as is on the inside as unless you are making thousands and thousands of these 2W drive Rovers it is probably cheaper to leave as much as is. It may just need levers! Of course there could have been simplified gearing in the transfer case but I would be very surprised if the case had been changed.

Either way it does look like a great Rover. Buy it, clean it up a bit make sure stuff is working and see if anyone is interested in it for the history and see if they want to make a trade. If not then go through the work of switching it over to 4Wdrive - but definitely keep all the components from the 2W drive that you are not using. You can either sell them on to someone or someday you may decide you like the history of the truck and want to switch it back.

Have fun!

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

from the looks of the Pict of the under side it is an axle with no diferential, I will post the Pict tonight

I will take more picts tommorow too

picture of the front axle configuration

Terrys, thanks for the opinion and help

LaneRover, thanks for the help, i recon we will find out soon enough when i bring it home on sunday as long as the frame and bulkhead are good i will take picts when i get home with the 88

Auto,

Any chance you'll sell that front axle?
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    Auto,

Any chance you'll sell that front axle?
    nope neither are for sale