Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daily Driving in a Series IIa

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S
    Add a nice Soft top if you live in the sun belt.
    Definitely, even though I live in Vermont.

They ain't cheap, though. Yikes.

Sound proofing would be nice as well.
    What? Speak up.

Default Daily Driver

Personally I would focus on getting the basic truck in top shape before adding all these do-dahs. The TIC power steering kit is NOT worthwhile. Its expensive and has many drawbacks. Inevitably an unrestored series truck has leaks, wiring glitches and deferred maintenance that you should address first and will make far more difference in your daily driving than many of the items you listed. The suspension and tires are worthy but add:

-electrical faults
    -leaks
    -brakes (including parking brake
    -steering joints, box, swivel balls

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    The suspension and tires are worthy but add:

-electrical faults
    Found one that made the guages and taillamps quit, and another that shut the truck off entirely. Both were a two-second fix with some emery paper. No problems since, but I'm tracking down some bad soldering here and there.

-leaks
    I was on leak patrol before the weather got really cold. I'll be back on it once it warms up a bit and I can spend more than 10 minutes in the garage.

-brakes (including parking brake
    Brakes are generally good, and when I did the output shaft seal, I put new shoes and springs in the parking brake. Works good now.

-steering joints, box, swivel balls
    I'll get into this next, I think.

Comfortable seats....Fix all rattles and squeeks.......
    JasonT.

I've used one or another of my Series II-A's as a daily driver since 1991. Sometimes they have been used on a commute, sometimes for long trips to job assignments. Once in a great while, something has failed me and twice has it required a flatbed home. Not bad for 17 years.

Series Rovers are maintenance intensive by today's standards. If you look at the Haynes manual, for example, there are tasks you're supposed to do weekly[!]. If you don't like adjusting, tightening, checking, and then performing regular maintenance, then know that it might let you down in daily driving. Of course, you'll find the same with a very used pickup; the difference is that there's little to adjust, you can only replace.

One of the fascinating aspects of a Series Rover is that it will run essentially the same whether it has 10% of its life left or 90% of its life left. It's not often that the car will signal to you when it needs attention. Something will just stop working properly or running well.

The II-A I bought in 1991 was nowhere near as nice as the Rover you have described, but I was putting 25-30,000 miles a year on it anyway. To make that work successfully, I had to become a much better mechanic and be much more attuned to the vehicle. One move that I took much too long on was improving the electrical system with new wiring harnesses. Once I did, many of the aggravating problems that only seemed to happen at night or in inclement weather seemed to disappear.

I've run BF Goodrich All-Terrains and/or Mud Terrains for many years and have been very pleased, on road and off road. 16" wheels are the way to go, too.

I was doing a lot of driving all over northern New England so eventually I bought a Fairey overdrive. Unless I'm entering a highway, or moving on 55-65 mph roads, I find I don't use it much. It was really just an economy measure introduced by Land Rover because of the fuel crisis in the later '70's. It doesn't really make a lot of difference on shorter drives, and it's one less thing to go wrong. My other II-A does not have an overdrive and it seems to barrel along at about the same clip regardless.

Neither car has a steering stabilizer and I would not be proponent of a power steering unit, either. Once my steering was properly adjusted at the steering box, it became easier to use at low speeds and in parking situations.

The Mansfield heater is the goods for New England weather. One Rover has the Mansfield, the other has the Kodiak. Both work but the Mansfield makes a difference when the temperature falls below 10 F.

You mentioned the high running temperature. One change that I noticed with the Mansfield heater is that I had to be more contientious about switching between summer and winter thermostats with that heater, whereas the Kodiak-equipped car does not seem be affected the same way. If you're experiencing high temperatures when the outdoor temperature is >40 degrees, then you might want to run a summer range thermostat. I change mine every spring and fall.

Does your car have the radiator shroud? Is the timing advanced too far? That will cause high running temperatures? Has the radiator ever been flushed? Are you running a radiator muff? If you have a winter range thermostat in it, is it working? It's an inexpensive replacement, or you can drop it in boiling water and see whether it opens.

Enjoy your Series as a daily driver - I do!

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Default Love the magazine

Vespafitz,

I believe I read about your truck every month in Hemmings Sport & Exotic. Is that you? Next to the Overland Journal, that's my favorite mag . Welcome to the Rover club.

R/,
    Lew

Personaly I'd skip the steering stabilizer. I've run them one several 4X4's and wonder why I bothered. Jeff's advice is right on the money. Maintain it as you are supposed to and it won't ever let you down.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by lew_sa
    Vespafitz,

I believe I read about your truck every month in Hemmings Sport & Exotic. Is that you? Next to the Overland Journal, that's my favorite mag . Welcome to the Rover club.

R/,
    Lew
    x2. I was very happy to see one of the editors picking up a Land Rover, and I'll look forward to reading more tales of adventure!

Default A rover a day..

Tires and springs will make it MUCH nicer to drive. Why aren't you on your MC for the commute?

RW

Funny thing this....I've sold several Series rig's to customers that normally drive expensive coilers (both Defenders and Range Rovers, as well as other marques) and before very long the Series rig has become the #1 car. People can't stop driving them. They can't stop smiling either. Got to love it.

Personally I could take my pick from the shop stable, but 90% of the time I'll be in my '63 88" diesel. It's slow, noisy, smells like god knows what and has original dirt.....and is perfect in so many ways.

Keep on driving it and you will become one. All the above advice is right on, no need to modify things just keep aware of what is what and keep on driving.
    Last edited by junkyddog11; 02-25-2008 at 06:14 AM.
    Matt Browne
    www.overlandengineering.com
    "resurecting junk through engineering"