Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum, Rebuilding '68 IIa

Default New to Forum, Rebuilding '68 IIa

Been reading on the Forum for a while now and I felt it was time to get on board. Found an old '68 Series IIa at a local auction here in the Mojave desert (Pahrump, NV). I believe she was a plow from West Virginia at one time. Frame was shot. Well, like all Rover enthusiasts, love at first sight. Picked her up for a song, $125. I was bidding against metal salvagers! Complete aside for a turn signal. A couple of days after the auction I wandered the property and, after pawing through around 2,000 tires, found the original 15" wheels in a trailer. Tires were everywhere and it took two days. The guy was a pack rat regarding vehicles.

She is currently stripped down and in pieces in the garage awaiting a frame off rebuild, which will commence over the next few months. Just waited to get enough money. That being said, engine and trans only need to be resealed. Holding all the fluids. When I drained the oil, it looked like it had just come from a fresh lube joint - clean and golden. Popped off a couple of covers and the gearing is perfect, no chips. Interior of trans and transfer case look new. The Rover just sat in the desert, the best preservative, for over twenty years. Last registration was 1985. I know I am rambling on, but it was quite a find. Have a rolling chassis I picked up off ebay about a year ago. Needs minor work, but in good shape.

Well, as I said, looking forward to learning more as I rebuild the thing. Dissertation or Rover. It's tough, but there are tons of ghost towns to visit and I need wheels. Just wanted to say Hello and I look forward to learning more about my Rover.

Here is a link to the auction, they removed the Rover snap:
    http://www.nyeauction.com/auctions/2...pg1_brown.html
    Found the tires in this mess:
    http://www.nyeauction.com/images/DSCF1902.JPG

I'll give you $250 for it.

RW

Nice find and best of luck with the rebuild!

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Default Have fun!

New projects are always great!

Jeff
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Can't beat the price.

Hope you have an understanding wife! You'll be trying her patients for a while till you get it running.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Looks like a great find!

May I suggest that you keep the body together (after removing the front clip) when you do your frame swap. Looks like most everything should be in good order with the body and doing it that way should speed things up.

Maybe you could do it in a weekend or two if Murphy doesn't know your address and if you don't get the "well since I'm in there disease".

Quick question: When did the bulkhead with the single wiper motor come into production?

Oh and nice project there.

Cheers
    Gregor

Nice find! But I must say, seeing it dragged up a flatbed with no wheels makes me cringe.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie
    Quick question: When did the bulkhead with the single wiper motor come into production?

Oh and nice project there.

Cheers
    Gregor
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

125 bucks - wow.

that is great. I know I speak for all Rover obsessors that we're glad you saved it from the metal scrappers....
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces