Thread: SOLONOID WIRING

Default SOLONOID WIRING

I bought a new solonoid and need to put the wires back. My rewiring of the Land Rover is nearly complete. Is there a positive and a negative post, or is it put neg on one side and the rest of the wires on the other post? I don't have a diagram and my pictures of the old set-up soloniod did'nt come out clear. also what is the 2 spade hookups for ???

Thanks Marshall

ps any diagrams for wiring a solonoid available
    Series III

Is it an original Rover solenoid? I usually just use an old *eep solenoid or AMC solenoid. Common as dirt and fairly reliable.

On the Rover solenoid you will have two main studs. Obviously one goes to the battery and the other to the starter (usually it makes no difference which is which). On the battery side you will have two lugs that go over the stud itself. The large one hooks up to the alternator as a charge return. The smaller one is simply a continuous hot lead, usually hooked up to something like a horn or spot light. Then there should be one wire connection lug somewhere on the solenoid body that will hook up to the ignition. This is what "clicks" the solenoid to start the vehicle.

One final note: There are two types of solenoids. Internally grounded and externally grounded. Internally grounded solenoids will have two external lugs on the body, one goes to ground, the other to the ignition. Externally grounded solenoids must be well secured to a good ground source as they have only one lug that connects to the ignition. All of the Rover solenoids that I have dealt with have been externally grounded.

Hope that answers the question.
    Last edited by jp-; 02-26-2008 at 12:26 PM.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.