Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crankshaft pulley bolt

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    I just put it on with a couple of trigger pulls on my electric impact. She's not going anywhere.
    If it spins you really want to set it to the correct torque. An impact wrench is a great tool for removing bolts but is a horrible way to tighten stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie
    If it spins you really want to set it to the correct torque. An impact wrench is a great tool for removing bolts but is a horrible way to tighten stuff.
    When I assemble a motor, or work on a newer car, I get out the torque wrench. For this, I would'nt worry about it (impact all day). If you're that thorough, congrats! I guess you're more patient than me.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by thixon
    When I assemble a motor, or work on a newer car, I get out the torque wrench. For this, I would'nt worry about it (impact all day). If you're that thorough, congrats! I guess you're more patient than me.
    Meh,
    I just work in an industry with high speed rotating machinery and get to see what happens when you get lax. For static components I'm not so fussed but spinning parts require attention.

I also had a rather expensive lesson when I left a socket on the crankshaft nut and have personal experience of the force and damage that results. I don't want a repeat performance with the crankshaft nut.

Between the two I have learned my lessons over the years and for the extra time it takes a torque wrench is cheap insurance. I'm the same way with wheel nuts too.

Cheers
    Gregor

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie
    Meh,
    I just work in an industry with high speed rotating machinery and get to see what happens when you get lax. For static components I'm not so fussed but spinning parts require attention.

I also had a rather expensive lesson when I left a socket on the crankshaft nut and have personal experience of the force and damage that results. I don't want a repeat performance with the crankshaft nut.

Between the two I have learned my lessons over the years and for the extra time it takes a torque wrench is cheap insurance. I'm the same way with wheel nuts too.

Cheers
    Gregor

I know you're an engineer of some type from reading past posts, and I figured my post would provoke the reponse I got from you. No disrespect meant. I just have a different take than you.

The impact wrench will work fine for this (and you know it will). If he took it to a mechanic, that guy would use an impact wrench in this application (and you know he would). I agree that he should'nt get in the habit of using to torque anything and everything, and my recommending it here, without explaining that was irresponsible.

The guy has enough info to make his own decision now. Lets not get into a pansy fight on a web board. Frankly, I think its beneath both of us. You give great advice, and you know your S#$T. H3LL, I'll probably be PM'ing you next week asking you for help when I start putting my truck back together after the frame paint.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

No problem Thixon,
    Didn't mean to stir it up and I apologize if you thought I was being a wise arse. Just explaining my reasoning for where I come from when I say what I do.

No harm done and I always like talking truck.

Cheers
    Gregor