Thread: late series IIA heater valve

thumb-up late series IIA heater valve

I have a 1969 Series 2A 88 with the heater valve controlled by a cable to the dash. The cable was missing so I bought a choke type cable at the local auto parts store and installed it in a spare dash panel I had. My question is this - the way the valve is orientated it seems that heat is provided when the knob is PUSHED IN - not pulled out. The valve assembly has a "ramp" in the top of it that operates the valve itself by moving it up and out of the way when open, down and in the coolant path when closed. Unfortunately, the outlet of the valve and the attachment for the cable are at the rear of the valve - pointing back towards the bulkhead - this makes the operation as I described - pull out for no heat, push in for heat. This seems counterintuitive - what am I doing wrong or missing here?

Mike

You are describing the situation correctly: push in for heat. Common with many vintage British sleds.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    You are describing the situation correctly: push in for heat. Common with many vintage British sleds.
    Thanks Ted - I should have guessed that the folks who put the steering wheel on the other side of the car would come up with an interesting slant on dash controls...

Mike
    Last edited by emmotto; 09-10-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks for asking that. I was also wondering this. Hard to tell much divergence on warm days

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by emmotto View Post
    I have a 1969 Series 2A 88 with the heater valve controlled by a cable to the dash. The cable was missing so I bought a choke type cable at the local auto parts store and installed it in a spare dash panel I had. My question is this - the way the valve is orientated it seems that heat is provided when the knob is PUSHED IN - not pulled out. The valve assembly has a "ramp" in the top of it that operates the valve itself by moving it up and out of the way when open, down and in the coolant path when closed. Unfortunately, the outlet of the valve and the attachment for the cable are at the rear of the valve - pointing back towards the bulkhead - this makes the operation as I described - pull out for no heat, push in for heat. This seems counterintuitive - what am I doing wrong or missing here?

Mike
    Found this while looking for info on the control knob to cable. The cable has slipped out and I don't have the allen key for what must be the smallest set screw ever used.

In any case, thought the same but then found a sticker for the control knob that read something like "push in for heat".

I have just had a look at a copy of the operators manual for US vehicles with the fresh air heater and pushing the control in increases the heat output. Pull it out for cold air
    Name:  20231206_140358.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  114.6 KB