Page 14 of 70 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: 109 NADA Registry

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Quote Originally Posted by TCapelle
    I recently purchased the #2 nada from Matt Obrien

So if the registry is still being updated

Here is my info

Tim Capelle, St Paul Mn NADA 109 - going to be getting a "continental carawagon conversion"

Pictures soon... I need to go dig the caulk, sawdust and paint out of my hair and fingernails

-Tim
    Hi Tim, Unfortunately I haven't updated the registry in a while but should be doing this soon. Thanks for your info and welcome to the forum!
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by gotsloco

My long term goal is to rebuild. 292 I6, NVG4500, LR transfer case, Salisbury rear axle, complete rewire, Procar Elite seats. Space and too many other projects get in the way. My 101 RHD GS is next on the get it running list.

[ATTACH
    1583[/ATTACH]

Geoff
    I match your herd and raise you a late IIA NADA 88.

'76 101 LHD with winch.
    '71 IIA 88.
    67 NADA 109. This lump I've been brewing for mine should interest you..

Nice looking engine. I would like to find power steering brackets for the two 292's and the 250 I have here. I have not decided if I am going to upgrade the manifolds or not. The 101 has first priority. My 101 also has the Winch.

I currently have three Land-Rovers running and many more that should run at some point. I am just getting back to working on them after years of parent watching and working in the Santa Clara Valley without shop space. The one car garage had my 58' Buick Century Convertible in it. I did get some Land-Rover work accomplished. I aided Drive Around the World on both trip with Land-Rovers and produced the drawing required to produce the flotation hoops for Nick Baggerly's APGP. And pick up outstanding deals like my 101.

Hopefully in a couple of years I can add the 67' to my list of running vehicles.

Geoff

Default In need of work...

I am the owner of 34300302. It's had a conversion to a Chevy 250, which I plan to keep. The truck is non-running and needs a frame up, but is generally in good condition, corrosion-wise. Located in Portland, OR.

I also own a 1960 109 Pickup that is disassembled and in need of a good 4cyl bulkhead.

For someone that is usually lurker I am sure posting a lot this week.

I should fill in some of the History on Ken’s truck seeing as I am the responsible party for his interest in land Rovers.

Ken spotted the truck on LRX in November of 2004 and when he described the ad to me, and asked if I know of a tan 67’ 109 wagon with a Chevy six in Boulder Creek. I commented it was Gene Lytle’s and that I had not seen the truck since about 93’ at the British Car Meet in Palo Alto. Ken was the first person to contact Gene, and I contacted him shortly there after to see about looking the truck over. Not too bad for sitting for eight years under a redwood tree. I agreed to buy it for Ken but it would be a couple of weeks before I could get back up with my car trailer. The images you see were taken after Gene and I loaded it onto my car trailer in December 2004. In March of 2005 I pulled the trailer up to Snohomish where Ken was living. I also got to move it back to Portland when he was transferred.

I had had some contact with this truck on several trips out to the Black Rock with him in the late 80’s and early 90’s. If you have any issues of the Aluminum Workhorse around I believe you will find mention of our trips. Gene had done the Scotty’s conversion at Scotty’s shop some years before. It had also been up graded with a series III transmission. I can recall one lunch break we took out on the playa. When we were to leave he decided to let Samson, age Twelve I recall, try his hand at driving. The clutch is a terrible thing. It takes some practice, and since this was his first attempt. We ended up having a training experience in how to change a half shaft. It was a good trip, I believe my 88 got stuck just North of the hot springs at the base of the Black Rock on the way to the high dry lakes.

Geoff

I ended up using an old set of brackets from a 250 and reworking them. I needed a new mount for the CS144 alternator and then ended up doing a lot of cutting and welding to make the power steering pump mount work. I'm adding an aircon compressor on the far side too. If I have one criticism of the Chevy L6 it is the minimalist approach to mounting holes for ancilliary brackets.

As well as manifolds I have raised the compression to a little above 9:1, a reworked head with 1.84I and 1.6E valves and lump port intakes, a comp cams 260H cam, HEI for spark and TBI for dueling. The spark and fuel will be run from a Megasquirt. It should push the old bus along quite nicely.

What needs done on the 101?

Default scotty

All,
    I heard recently that scotty passed away last year. I never knew him but I have heard many stories.

Anyone have some good ones to share?

Also, I ran into gene about a year ago. He still has an 88 sitting under that redwood tree but its not for sale! At least those were the first words out of his mouth when I rolled up in my 109. He warmed up a little when I told him I didnt want to buy it but just to say hi. I bet its still rotting under that tree.

I first saw his truck in about 2003. I remember seeing two 109s I think.

On a side note, Geoff, did you ever know Reed Cotton from bonny doon with a 109 or a guy from Watsonville with an 88 whose name was Ray Yates?
    1968 Land Rover "Park Ranger" camper **SOLD**
    1967 109 **SOLD**
    NADA Dormobile #601 **SOLD**
    1965 IIA 88 2.5NA Diesel
    1963 Mercedes 300se
    1975 Volvo C303
    KJ6AQK

All the activity in this thread got me inspired to chime in. #413, with quite a checkered history. I know it's lived as far south as Panama, and as far North as Alaska, spent many years on the east coast, and has most recently bounced between a number of PNW folks. Along the way it's picked up a 2.25 diesel, some badly welded replacement frame horns, a Toyota FJ alternator/vacuum pump combo, Santana brake cylinder, and several coats of flaking white paint over the original green.

Since I've taken it on it's had new swivel balls and front hubs, new steering box, new alternator (another Toyota), and most recently a new universal harness & misc electrical goodies. Still to go: new heated windscreens, wiper motor, and new Fairey OD. And a little further down the road the diesel will be getting a top end rebuild at a minimum, along with a new exhaust. Eventually it'll either get a total rebuild, or replaced with a 2.5d or 200di. Parabolics are on that list someplace too, along with a lot of body work and paint someday...

One of it's brief windows of running reliably was during our big December snowstorm here in Portland, just before the biodiesel I had in the tank at the time completely gelled:

'67 109 NADA #413 - rebuilding w/ TDI & galvy chassis.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Registry has been updated. I even added the 1967 Four Wheeler article to the first posting.
    http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3420

I still need to create the logos for the new entries, next project... enjoy .

Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

With response to who I might have met since I first purchased my 88 in 1983. I have met a lot of people over the years. Reed Cotton sounds familiar but Ray Yates no, and I am not sure what the context was for Reed Cotton. Although I grew up in Los Gatos I never spent a lot of time there with a running Land-Rover that I would drive any distance. Driving back and forth to Salinas, Chico, SLO, and Vacaville in the 88 or Range Rover, yes.

I had heard that Scotty was not overly healthy about a year and a half ago at the last British Car Meet in Palo Alto. He was a character.

For good stories one might get Eric McKay(sp?) or Brad Blevins to enlighten us.

As for My 101 Lets start out by getting and engine in it. I purchased this truck from Tom Walsh. Ben Smith was driving to Mendo in 2000 when it threw a rod. I purchased it minus engine. Two years ago Rich Brengman decided to get out of Land-Rovers and sold me a 101 engine and Transmission he had picked up at some point. They are in my garage. For those of you not familiar with a 101 it is tall and the engine goes in through the top. I needed to build an ‘A frame’ crane to lift the engine into the truck. The truck needs complete rewiring, what land rover of that vintage doesn’t. I took out the seats of dubious origin (Japanese mini van?) and need to fit Deluxe Series seats. I need to get a new canvas on order. There are also some miscellaneous small parts I need to order from the Club – 101 specific. I have installed a Pertronix ignition in the distributor. I also want to build an alternator bracket to accept a Delcotron 10S1. Change out all the water pump parts for late V8 ones. Something about an old plastic fan and the best way to change it is to change out from the water pump forward inclusive. This truck is also a bit different as it has Maxi-drives front and rear, and that plumbing needs to be addressed. Most of this was to happen this fall but a red 110 station wagon was a deal not to be passed up, but I can say welding on a new outrigger, repairing the frame behind that and drivers footwell has taken a while. An exhaust leak and bushings are next. Projects, Projects, Projects. And a couple of Steam Locomotives that need some attention.

With regard to mounting points on the Chevy I6 engines what points. I have seen a couple of different mounting configurations for adding a power steering pump. I have one comment, hokey. I am not sure I can come up with anything better. Not much to work with. A 6AT it is not. The Air cleaner problem is another area that I will need to work on. The Air Cleaner you have shown is fine for the street but I would not want to see it out on the playa or on any logging road. My thoughts have been a Donaldson, probably an FHG series or maybe an FWA Series. I am just not sure where it will fit. I need to work on the truck. My 88 was the proto-type truck for the Pierce two barrel manifold conversion and one of the reasons I changed that to a 34ICH was the tiny K&N filter that plugged on one trip across the Playa. The standard Land-Rover oil bath and the 34ICH is fine with me for a 2.25, but not good for a 250 or a 292. When I am up at Ken's next I should look at the layout again.

How many are still using the Berg power brake setup? Not that I was planning that route but I am curious.

Geoff