Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FREE WHEELING HUBS

jeeze guys, you're all miss'n the real point here! this person needs to move! no where to engage 4wd, how awful. try new mex. here we can drive for months on old 2 tracks
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

I had to replace the front propshaft (driveshaft) on my first rover which had fwh's that had been left free-wheelin' and had not been engaged enough- or at all. The driveshaft had worn unevenly because it was constantly telescoping back and forth in the same plane, where it was not spinning while telescoping w/suspension movement. When I engaged the fwh's with the original, worn propshaft it would cause a heck of a lot of vibration- almost like a front rim was bent or wheel was out of balance. There's no telling how many thousands of miles were on the rover when I got it- and when the last time the fwh's had been engaged. After ponying up for a new driveshaft I kept my hubs locked all the time. These things are pigs on gas anyway- so, to me, 2mpg didn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. I'd keep yours locked around town- then disengage them on highway trips...not so much for gas mileage but for more power when climbing grades or driving against slight breezes that seem to slow our little friends down. That's just my $.02. -Jay
    Last edited by JayGoss; 04-07-2008 at 10:42 AM.
    1960 Series II SWB
    1994 NAS D90 ST
    1963 SIIa SWB (sold)
    1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
    2000 Disco SII (sold)
    1995 RR Classic (sold)