Thread: Cranks, but Wont Start

Default Cranks, but Wont Start

I'm at wits end. My 95 Discovery will turn over but it WILL NOT start. I've replaced the battery (it was shot), the distributor (cap, rotor, etc.), ignition coil, plugs, wires. I've cleaned just about every connection I can find. I just cant find the problem. I have deduced that its not a fuel problem because I have pressure at the fuel rail. I just cant seem to get a spark, and I cant seem to find why.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ware27
    I'm at wits end. My 95 Discovery will turn over but it WILL NOT start. I've replaced the battery (it was shot), the distributor (cap, rotor, etc.), ignition coil, plugs, wires. I've cleaned just about every connection I can find. I just cant find the problem. I have deduced that its not a fuel problem because I have pressure at the fuel rail. I just cant seem to get a spark, and I cant seem to find why.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Not sure if the 1995 has an engine "immobilizer".....all part of the anti theft/alarm system.....Are your keyfob lock/unlock functions working?

The alarm ECU can cause some strange problems, i'd be looking in that direction.
    regards; Dave
    A 1997 Discovery guy from

Default Voltage Regulator

Have you checked the voltage regulator attached to the side of the distributer? RN sells a relocation kit which moves the regulator towards the coil in a more "cool" and secure location.

There is a way to determine whether or not this has failed by checking resistance and voltage to this part. I seem to recall an article on

http://www.rangerovers.net

that should give you all of the details.

Good luck.
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)

Default 95 nonstarter, but cranks

I had a similar problem, it cranked and occasionally Id get a cough of combustion. But it wouldnt fire up.

Here is what I found, I had fuel pressure so pump was ok.
    Prior to the problem I had trouble maintaining idle so it deteriorated.

I ended up replacing the ignition coil (that round beer can shaped Bosch thingy for $100) which is mounted on drivers side near radiator. I also replaced the cap and rotor since they are 'wear' items. Other wear items
    that can be replaced but I havent yet are wires and plugs.

Anyway that did the trick for me.