Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best elephant hide seats for restoration?

Default Best elephant hide seats for restoration?

I have a 1960 Series II and I'm down to the seats. Who makes the best elephant hide seats for restoration?

Thanks, Greg

Default Elephant hide seats

I would check Badger Coachworks in Mass. Here is their link http://www.badgercoachworks.com They aren't inexpensive by any means but they have a great reputation for quality.
    Jim

I don't think I've seen any material that really matches the original "elephant hide". Most stuff is grey and looks like plastic leather but it still doesn't look the same. Unless someone has produced a new material that is dead on within the past few years you'll have to settle for something that is similar but distinctly not the same.

Look in Hemmings Motor News for outfits that re-upholster/restore. Really the series IIa seats are simple to do and any decent outfit should be able to restore them with whatever material you select.
    http://www.carestoration.com/upholter.htm

Matt Nelson
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Thanks. I will give Badger a call.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregSC
    I have a 1960 Series II and I'm down to the seats. Who makes the best elephant hide seats for restoration?
    The original elephant hide gray has long been out of production and hoarded by a few. Last I heard, Dunsfold and Kellog's company in the North West still had some for prices that few people could afford.

The closest reproduction I personally have seen is made for Exmore Trim in the UK. They sell the matterial on already made up seats but not by itself. The fabric appears high quality as does Exmore's products. While the pattern is a reasonably close , fabric is more silver than gray.

Here is a comparison of Exmore's fabric (left) and original factory fabric (right) that I grabbed out of the British Pacific Series LR catalogue (they are an Exmore distributor). You can see that it is more silver in colour than the original.

Everything else I have seen just looks like regular nagahide.

I just purchased the entire front row of the elephant hide replica seats from Exmoor Trim for my 1962 Series IIA 109. They look great. I also may be willing to part with them and the original elephant hide rear bench seats in the back. I have had my IIA for 14 years but just purchased a 109 Stationwagon IIA (growing family) and, therefore, am toying with selling the 1962 or at least parting with the elephant hide seats and tropical roof and using it as a topless pickup. I am also in Charleston and would be glad to provide you with local mechanics etc if you like.

In addition, I believe British Northwest has the original material brand new. Pricey but original.

Hi, Guys:
    I am looking to recover my original Ele-hyde seats as well.

I have been in touch with British Northwest Land Rover Co and they do have the NOS (and according to them great, soft, no-cracked condition) correct material for the job. They will not, however sell it to you to have the job done locally. They will, let you ship your seats to them for restoration.

Have any of you had any experience with their work, job time line, accuracy from job quote to finished price?

I would appreciate any feedback before I ship my seats off to them.

Thanks,
    DJ

Very good people and top notch restorations. I have not had them restore seats but have found them to be excellent for hard to find parts and a wealth of information. Ask for Charles.

Sigh.....

I won't say anything bad. However, I will say, once upon a time, I was interested in something that he had, so I emailed to find out how much it was... basically, the reply was something to the effect that "if I have to ask how much it is, I couldn't afford it". I exchanged several emails trying to get a price, and never could.

He does seem to be knowledgeable and does have items in stock that are made of unobtainium elsewhere.

FWIW.... if RN doesn't have what you need, then I'd check w/ BP, RDS, and Badger. FWIW...
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie
    emailed to find out how much it was... basically, the reply was something to the effect that "if I have to ask how much it is, I couldn't afford it".
    I had exactly this experience too - which is a shame really because he does seem pretty knowledgable and has a wealth of neat parts, but that attitude is likely to alienate many who could just take their business elsewhere...especially as the vast majority of Series owners like to know how much of their hard-earned cash they will have to part with this time...