Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CENTRAL NEW YORK CLUBS?

Default CENTRAL NEW YORK CLUBS?

I saw the post from the guy in Rhode Island and I've been wondering about my area. I live in the southern Finger Lakes of New York near Ithaca and there doesn't seem to be much Land Rover activity around here. Especially Series activity. Years ago Land Rovers were common place here but they have seemingly vanished. Does any one know if there used to be a club in my area. There is Finger Lakes 4X4 out of Rochester but they aren't really local and are all brands but don't seem to have much Land Rover participation. There is NELRC but that is mostly just internet gib gab. My old 2A still needs many hour of resurrection work but it would be nice to find some local enthusiasts.

there used to be a Finger Lakes Land Rover club, I ran into the group of them at Roverfest in Killington a ways back. I don't know if they're still in existence, from the looks of it their website was last updated over a year ago: http://flrc.erovers.com
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

I have been to the EROVERS website a few times but there isn't anything going on. I looked up the last post on the forum there and it was someone asking if there was anyone around. There was no reply. That was in January.

There are a few of us just a little South of you in Mansfield PA and State College....we belong to R.O.V.E.R.S.....check out the web site
    http://www.roversclub.org/
    LC Rover
    1975 XMOD 88

Thanks for the reply LC. I've actually been to the R.O.V.E.R.S. website a few times but wasn't sure what to make of specific states being called out for membership. I also saw where it said all enthusiasts welcome. In some places if you say your from New York they automatically figure New York City and you might get shot, most times deservedly so. Anyways I appreciate the invite and you might see me on the members list one of these days.

Central NY has a bunch of Land Rover owners but no club. It is kind of a League of Unaffiliated Land Rover Owners thing. Finger Lake Rovers might be still active but everything they seemed to do was in Western NY, I was a member when they began but dropped out ages ago. Most people I know here actually belong to OVLR.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Yorker thanks for the response. Finger lakes now seems to be EROVERS out of western NY but I don't see much activity on their website. They are also on social media but I don't do much with that. OVLR looks like a good club but a long ways from the southern finger lakes. I guess I was hoping for something more near by. As they say you can't have everything I guess. Again thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by CKubinec View Post
    Yorker thanks for the response. Finger lakes now seems to be EROVERS out of western NY but I don't see much activity on their website. They are also on social media but I don't do much with that. OVLR looks like a good club but a long ways from the southern finger lakes. I guess I was hoping for something more near by. As they say you can't have everything I guess. Again thanks for the info.

Go to Guy Fawkes next November and you'll likely meet some local people. There is(was) a pharmacist out in Sherburne who has an 88. I think there was a British guy who was going to restore an 88 in Elmira. Bill Leacock is out in Lockport. ( https://www.facebook.com/wleacock) I could probably think of others out west that way if I tried harder. lol

I am not even sure who is in charge of Finger Lake Rovers now. It was Dave Johnson? Have you tried to contact him?

What sort of activities are you interested in? just get togethers, light offroading? overlanding? hard core 4X4ing?
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Yorker thanks for the PM. I shall check to see if SE is still in the neighborhood. At this point I'm in the process or going thru my 2A to bring it back to life. I bought it from a local guy that used to be very much into LR but gave it up about 15 -18 years ago. He still had mine in the back of his barn. The only problem is that the 2A hasn't run in about 15 years. It will most likely take me this year to get it back road worthy. It seems to run OK but needs everything else. Many thanks for the new leads.

Im out of Rochester... talked to a few of the FLX Rovers guys via craigslist etc..
    nothing too formal they have going on form what I can see..

from what I can tell the "Rover Scene" dropped off here... unsure why...

havent been in it that long to make an intelligent comment..
    1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
    1974 SIII 109" RHD