Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 1/4 liter engine paint ?

Quote Originally Posted by TJR
    What years did they use that pale green color? My '73 ser III as far as I can tell, was not painted that way, nor was a '72 ser III I stripped down,
    TJR
    Eau de nil or whatever the fancy name for hospital green is usually a sign of a military overhauled engine. THe military engines would have vome from the factory in standard colours.

IIRC original civvy engines came in black and red with a natural metal rocker cover.

Someone will no doubt be along in a minute to correct me on that.

Cheers
    Gregor

I had a military engine and it was red for what it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmeanie
    Eau de nil or whatever the fancy name for hospital green is usually a sign of a military overhauled engine. THe military engines would have vome from the factory in standard colours.

IIRC original civvy engines came in black and red with a natural metal rocker cover.

Someone will no doubt be along in a minute to correct me on that.

Cheers
    Gregor
    Gregor,

I've been curious about this for a while. My old trucks motor was black before I overhauled it. There was no other color under the black paint, and I'm pretty sure that motor had never been overhauled before.

Was there a year range for the black or the red, or was it just hit or miss?
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

It's not green. The official paint is BS Sky Blue. You can get it shipped in engine paint form from ebay. Google BS Sky blue color codes. Get the formula and have someone mix it for you.

Unless your doing a concours restoration, paint it whatever color you like. Hell Ike had a sweet dark green POR-15 enamel on a recent project.

Military rebuilds were painted all over(valve covers etc) with the green, not just the head and block. I'm pretty sure the head and block on 1960's and 1970's LRs was that green as well. Later Engines were a red color IIRC.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

thanks for all the help, now i got to hunt some paint down

Are we talking the dark red like what was used on MG's?
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

My understanding - there were various colors used over time. IIRC Grey early (II, early IIa), Sky Blue IIA and III, and the late 5 Brg were Red. Authoritative - nope - anyone heard anything similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S
    Hell Ike had a sweet dark green POR-15 enamel on a recent project.

This one Eric? Its BMC Green. I didnt realize it was POR-15 - not original, but my preferred color for future engines.

For the OP:

Dupli-Color Ceramic Engine Enamel: Detriot Diesel Alpine Green -DE1618

Quote Originally Posted by Alacrity

This one Eric? Its BMC Green. I didnt realize it was POR-15 - not original, but my preferred color for future engines.

For the OP:

Dupli-Color Ceramic Engine Enamel: Detriot Diesel Alpine Green -DE1618
    Yup. I thought BMC was a POR product? Either way, it's very nicely done.

I'd like to see a block painted to match the body personally. Be kinda nice, IMO.