Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2 1/4 liter engine paint ?

Quote Originally Posted by TJR View Post
    Ok.. Just need to verify...what does BMC stand for? British Motor Corporation or Buick Motor Corp?
    If it's Buick... then that is not the green ordered.
    I ordered the Austin Healey Green (not BMC green) as seen here
    http://www.por15.com/ENGINE-ENAMEL/productinfo/EEPA/
    as it seemed to match the above photo and several pics of Ike's project here..
    http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4...s/pbr/pbr.html

I checked out the color on the block of the 100-4 last night. Healey green is close, but not quite. It seems to be a little darker than the detroit des. alpine green. Side by side, its pretty noticeable. Looking at each one at a time, not so much.

Bear in mind I'm comparing 55 year old paint on an engine that has sat my whole life, to new paint I sprayed out of a can onto a peice of wood. So, take it for what its worth.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

I should mention I'm not trying to replicate any OEM color since mr Ser III 2.25l block was just black i guess.

I just really liked the deep olive green color on IKE's project and was trying to verify that I had ordered the correct one. i.e. that POR 15 Austin Healy Green is the same as what another poster called it as "BMC green."
    I suppose it really doesnt matter since a pint is due to arrive any day now.. TJR

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S View Post
    Detroit green isn't even close...
    Detroit diesel green and alpine green are nearly the same color. With over 25 old Land Rover motors sitting in my garage to compare it to, I can safely say both of those colors are a close enough match for even the pickiest purist.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

i once heard that the earliest series were put together using a lot of wwII suplus. could the british sky blue have been the color of paint used to on the underside of the RAF's fighters?
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    i once heard that the earliest series were put together using a lot of wwII suplus. could the british sky blue have been the color of paint used to on the underside of the RAF's fighters?
    Possibly, but as far as a Rover engines painted blue from 1960-1974, I can honestly say I have never seen one. I have only seen dark green on
    series 1's, grey on series 2's and the alpine/detroit diesel/pastel/or whatever you want to call it green on 2a's through s3's. I use 74 as a cut off because I have never owned a Rover made after 74 and dont want to make a statement unless I have actually seen one. Evidently I am not alone, as any show truck I have ever seen, as well as most of the accurate resto's that other folks have done, have all used the alpine green color.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Quote Originally Posted by TJR View Post
    I should mention I'm not trying to replicate any OEM color since mr Ser III 2.25l block was just black i guess.

I just really liked the deep olive green color on IKE's project and was trying to verify that I had ordered the correct one. i.e. that POR 15 Austin Healy Green is the same as what another poster called it as "BMC green."
    I suppose it really doesnt matter since a pint is due to arrive any day now.. TJR
    FYI... My POR-15 brand "Austin Healey Green" engine paint arived today. The can top is stickerd BMC Green .

Quote Originally Posted by Alacrity View Post
    My understanding - there were various colors used over time. IIRC Grey early (II, early IIa), Sky Blue IIA and III, and the late 5 Brg were Red. Authoritative - nope - anyone heard anything similar?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertha View Post
    Possibly, but as far as a Rover engines painted blue from 1960-1974, I can honestly say I have never seen one. I have only seen dark green on series 1's, grey on series 2's and the alpine/detroit diesel/pastel/or whatever you want to call it green on 2a's through s3's. I use 74 as a cut off because I have never owned a Rover made after 74 and dont want to make a statement unless I have actually seen one. Evidently I am not alone, as any show truck I have ever seen, as well as most of the accurate resto's that other folks have done, have all used the alpine green color.
    Fearing I may be dragging up an old debate, is there any consensus upon engine color?

It seems the most popular restoration color is the light blue/green color I know as Detroit diesel.

The engine block out of my early 60's IIa is red, knowing absolutely no history of this parts vehicle other than it sat next to a barn for 10+ years I would love to hear it is a five bearing engine of course.

The engine block in the 82 SIII I am refurbishing shows no apparent color or maybe black, though after reading this entire thread I will look with more diligence. The block is quite rusty and I am pretty sure the sump pan is black.

Mostly, I am asking because if there is a chance my parts engine is a five bearing I will rebuild it sooner rather than if ever.
    1982 SIII 109 RHD petrol project.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha View Post
    Detroit diesel green and alpine green are nearly the same color. With over 25 old Land Rover motors sitting in my garage to compare it to, I can safely say both of those colors are a close enough match for even the pickiest purist.
    You need to find better "purists".

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Bingo! Hence the name Sky Blue! And the reason the paint was used. Bronze green was a cockpit color.

EwS

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S View Post
    Bronze green was a cockpit color.

EwS
    I believe that the light green was the cockpit color. Land Rover didn't go with Bronze Green until they started getting Military orders.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2