Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEAKS IN BULKHEAD

Default LEAKS IN BULKHEAD

Last night I washed my 72 Series 3 and noticed water on the floor boards. Whats the most common spot for water to leak through a bulkhead? Any ideas are welcome. I want to seal these areas to prevent future leaks and also when the truck is in the rain. I tryed to find the source of the leaks but it just seems impossible to narrow down. anybody have this problem

Marsha

Most likely, the water in the floor boards leaked in through the doors seals/window tops. The fresh air vents could also be a source.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by thixon
    Most likely, the water in the floor boards leaked in through the doors seals/window tops. The fresh air vents could also be a source.
    yeah mine leaks through the fresh air vents sometimes. also check the windshield seals - the corner of my windshield leaked slightly...
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

My '70 S11a used to leak where the front wing and hood meets the bulk head just below the vent panels, the water would run down on top of the foot wells and find any hole it could get in.

Try folding your windscreen down and see if you have any rusted holes behind the dash on the bulk head. Thats what I need to fix this summer.
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW

you mean water inside and on the floor boards isnt normal my leaks are from my passenger window frame not being sealed hardly at all (it needs a new gasket that goes between the window framn and the door,i will order one the next order i place) , and my soft top needing work, aka it needs restiched in spots and does not fit tight in others because of the stiching

after a rain storm i usually open the windows and wipe the rain off of the floor boards with a shop rag and open the vents to let the air pass thru to dry everything out

Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by WILLYSMB
    Last night I washed my 72 Series 3 and noticed water on the floor boards. Whats the most common spot for water to leak through a bulkhead? Any ideas are welcome. I want to seal these areas to prevent future leaks and also when the truck is in the rain. I tryed to find the source of the leaks but it just seems impossible to narrow down. anybody have this problem

Marsha
    Everybody has this problem, not to be a smart axx, but get your friend to get inside the unit & you get to arm yourself with the garden hose, than have a go at it, you will find your leaks, sealing them is a bit more of a chase

When I drove in the rain in my RHD 73 Series III, my right foot would be soaked by the time I got to my destination. My bulkhead and windshield sill channel were rusted and water would get in, run down the interior facia (dashboard and support) and come streaming out on my right foot.

I was aware that the uppper bulkhead was rusted in the area of the windshield hinge, but I wasn't prepared for the extent of the damage. It took me a year and a half, but I have finally reconstructed the outer footwell, the doorpost, the interior and exterior around the vent and the windshield channel.

Hopefully your truck is not suffering from the same problem mine was. The "after" photo below shows only about 1/4 of the fabrication the bulkhead required.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Having replaced all my seals: door (multiple), windscreen to bulkhead, windscreen to top, etc. I have given up and just take a towel with me. Now at least I am not taking a shower in a heavy rain just a fine mist! I have just assumed this is part of it.
    Alex Jones
    Atmore, Al
    '64 SIIA 88
    '79 MB 240D daily driver
    '80 MB 240D donor
    '59 MB 190D "rutso-ration in progress"
    '00 Chevy Silverado 4x4 "rescue vehicle"
    "Glad I ain't haze grey and underway!"