Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIIA Engine Rattle

Default SIIA Engine Rattle

I replaced my points a few months ago and replaced them again last week - perhaps they just needed to be gapped, but I had a new spare around and threw them in... Yes, it's time for an electronic ignition - but that's not my problem.

Since the new points were installed last week, I've noticed an engine rattle when the engine is accelerating under load - think 3rd or 4th gear going up a hill, or 2nd gear rolling through a light and accelerating... it sounds like a diesel, and once the rpm's kick up higher, the noise / rattle disappears. I'm inclined to call it dieseling, but I know it's not that. There is no vibration and no other indicators of something else being wrong.

The timing of when I replaced the points and when this noise started occuring leads me to believe they are all connected. I should probably just order the electronic ignition now and not waste everyone's time trying to figure this out - but since I'm down the road anyway, anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin

Did you re-adjust the timing after you installed the new points?

It sounds like you are too far advanced to me.

Another thing to look at is the vacuum advance, which could be damaged and/or the hose to it may be damaged or loose at either end. In this case, the initial timing would be good, but the distributor would not advance properly (if at all); BUT, this normally will not get better with more RPM, it will get worse (no power etc.).

So, I think idea #1 is where to start.
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular

Quote Originally Posted by J!m
    Did you re-adjust the timing after you installed the new points?

It sounds like you are too far advanced to me.

Another thing to look at is the vacuum advance, which could be damaged and/or the hose to it may be damaged or loose at either end. In this case, the initial timing would be good, but the distributor would not advance properly (if at all); BUT, this normally will not get better with more RPM, it will get worse (no power etc.).

So, I think idea #1 is where to start.
    Yes certainly. As the points wear (usually at the little cam follower pad) the gap closes and this changes the timing. So with new points it is usual to reset the timing a tiny bit.
    John

Default its your timing !

re time it .

it isn't dieseling it is pinging. Check the timing. make sure the distributer is securely clamped too when done.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Default How do I adjust the timing?

The same occurred to me. While traveling uphill the rattling got so bad, eventually a sparkplug popped out of the block, and power was reduced significantly.

So how do I adjust the timing? Not mechanically inclinded so please be as detailed as possible in the explanation.

I know this isn't a Land Rover document, but this is a timing document for an excellent Corvette tuner.

http://wiki.corvettefaq.com/index.php?title=Tuning

Give it a look see, I personally found it good to do the Vette and J@@p.

also, here is another link...this even has pictures!!!
    http://www.centuryperformance.com/timing.asp

Ben
    Last edited by txeagle; 12-12-2006 at 09:33 PM.

http://www.bayourovers.com/trick19.html

the spark plug popped out?!???
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    The same occurred to me. While traveling uphill the rattling got so bad, eventually a sparkplug popped out of the block, and power was reduced significantly.

So how do I adjust the timing? Not mechanically inclinded so please be as detailed as possible in the explanation.
    May I suggest purchasing a copy of the owners manual for your Land Rover? The owners manual (LSM 64 IM) has step by step instructions on how to do normal service items. It is really worth having. It will step you through setting the timing, along with a whole lot of other things.

Is sounds like you have preignition and need to retard the timing a tad. The best way to do it depends upon the distributor you have. Most original distributors have a metal knob by the base of the distributor cap. There will be an A and R by the knob. Turning the knob in the direction of R will retard the timing. Give the knob a full turn in the R direction then try it to see if the pinging is still there. If it is still there do it again.

If you have a distributor without the timing adjustment knob, loosen the clamp screw at the base of the disributor. Remove the distributor cap. You should see an arrow on the rotor. That shows the direction the rotor turns. Turning the distributor in the direction of the arrow retards the ignition. Turn the distributor just a tad, button it up & give it a try. Repeat if needed.

One thing I have learned while driving a series Land Rover for 30 years is that a Land Rover will provide you with the oppertuity to learn how to work on it. You will drive it and learn, or sell the vehicle or let it sit.

Also, it sounds to me like you should tighten your spark plugs down just a bit more. You want about 25 to 30 lb ft torque. Use a torque wrench until you get a feel for how tight is tight.

Good luck learning how to work on your rig! But GET THE OWNERS MANUAL

Thanks for all the comments... I do own the Green Bibles but didn't recognize the pinging as timing... The last time I tried to self diagnose, I spent 3 days tinkering with the carb only to find out my points were shot.

I've actually never adjusted the timing, so this will be interesting - TerriAnn, thanks for the shortcuts!

Kevin