Thread: Trans Dip Stick...

Default Trans Dip Stick...

Hi,

I have a 2000 HSK P-38 and I understand that BMW did away with the automatic transmission dipstick in 1999. How do I check my transmission fluid level?

Thanks in Advance,

Donagh
    'Maybe the 'Hokey-Pokey' really is what it's all about.'

In the shop, doing the Lord's work, one broken Rover at a time!

Run engine to operating temperature. Elevate vehicle in a level fashion. Remove transmission fill plug. Fill level is even with bottom of fill plug.

The FSM indicates one is to run the trans through the gears whilst adding fluid, I've found that merely having the engine running and the plug open is sufficient.

Sadly, the lack of dispticks for transmissions has become far too common of late, Rover is not the only major vehicle manufacturer to do away with the transmission dispstick.

Cheers,
    PT

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Quote Originally Posted by ptschram
    ...Sadly, the lack of dispticks for transmissions has become far too common of late, Rover is not the only major vehicle manufacturer to do away with the transmission dispstick.

Cheers,
    PT
    [kinda off topic, but...] Totally agree wth you on this. Might have been influnced by BMW? BMW also deleted the engine oil dipstick on the new 135i. Why? [OMG, no engine oid dipstick !!!! - holy carp - I'd be totally lost.] As it is, my 2006 MINI Cooper S has an oil dipstick that bends and snakes it's way past and around the supercharger. It's flexible and made out of some GRP carbon plastic stuff??? They have been known to snap off and remains left in the engine block... You should read some of the chatter and havoc the lack of an oil dip stick in the 135i is causing in real world driving over on bimmerforums, especially when the electronic oil level indicator "has an issue" .
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Default Bummer...

Wow, after driving vintage (even when they were new) British cars like MGs and Triumphs for years, I'd come to expect stuff like this from the Union Jack. But BMW? What a drag...

I guess I'll call a LandRover service place and have them replace the filter gasket and tranny fluid. (As I'm sure the manufacturer originally intended to increase revenues) But I'm just blown away by this... Even the difficulty of access to the fill plug seems counter-intuitive to self-maintenance. OF course, this particular model is aimed at a particular demographic who don't generally get their fingernails dirty when writing a check is so much easier.

Thanks for your informative responses. They really helped. (I thought I was going nuts!)
    'Maybe the 'Hokey-Pokey' really is what it's all about.'