Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: BUGEYE Registry

Yeah, I agree. Thanks for your contribution.

Now, if we could get the couple of guys on this blog to just register their trucks, we would be doing well. That's right, there are a couple of guys on this board that have Bug Eyes, that aren't even registered; even after I have asked them.

Hope they change their minds.

Thanks again!

-Gary
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

two more are on ebay. One is a parts truck and being sold with a '63 88 and the other has been recently restored by skytop rovers.
    http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...c0.m245&_pgn=2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Series-IIA-LHD-Series-IIA_W0QQitemZ160385411701QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Car s_Trucks?hash=item2557b72a75

-Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Thanks Rob. I can't find the one being sold with the '63 88. Is that link right?

24435501F Was on eBay in '06, now again.

-Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Rineheitzgabot View Post
    Thanks Rob. I can't find the one being sold with the '63 88. Is that link right?

24435501F Was on eBay in '06, now again.

-Gary
    This link should work: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...item1c0e7f2f55

-Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Default eBay Bugeye Parts Car

Gary,
    I found the item and can contact the seller' if you haven't already, to get the vin #. I wish I had the funds to buy the lot!

David

David,

I already contacted the seller, and he says he can't find the VIN. I got the clear impression that he didn't want to look for it. I can't blame him. I'm not sure I would crawl under my Series, at the request of some jack a$$ emailing me for some registry dippity-doo. Just kidding.

Perhaps, you can try to contact him, and see if you can persuade him.

Thanks,
    Gary

Default New bugeye on the block

Gary,

I finally got the beast state inspected for Texas, it was an "antique register" in Tennessee, so in that way didn't need everything functional... To get it registered, I had to redo the wire harness as very little worked on the dash, and then upgraded most of the interior, as the body of restore was already a pretty good job & paint.

I have brand new door tops and a lift-gate being painted now, as the hard top it came with had a full length door. I luckily got a NOS clamshell, and also 2 lift-gates (one orig, and one a new repro). The custom soft-top I haven't put on yet...

I took the original wheels off, and will keep them for when I feel the need for a "purist" look...but prefer the slightly broader stance for now. So I added the custom 15" wheels I got from you, but then added new tires on the weekend.

The VIN on the ownership I transferred is 30600355K, although that series of vin doesn't fit in the sequences listed for a 69'. I checked the frame horn/hanger etc and cannot find any vin, as the frame and hangers etc were redone it seems and the black coating they redid it in either covers it up, or it was a rebuild, not sure. Where this vin# originated I'm not sure, but that hers now.

I'll post once I get the "phase III" done.

cheers, mike
    Last edited by mrdoiron; 05-22-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Mike,

Hope you like the the rims (sounds like you do). The old girl looks nice, that's for sure.

The soft top will add a nice touch.

Thanks for posting these pics, and attempting the VIN posting, which you are correct, is not anywhere near a Bugeye VIN, but probably some kind of hybrid, with a lot of character.

Peace be with you, Mike.

Hi There,

I see I'm listed as still owing a Bugeye even though I haven't for nearly 15 years. Thought I would update you on that fact and about the vehicle itself.

It was VIN 24435680F, a 1969 model year IIA. When acquired, I had the Heritage Trust run the serial number and it came back as a LHD 88 SIIA petrol basic in Light Green. It was built in January 1969 and delivered to the San Francisco sales office (which I believe was the West Coast headquarters). The engine number was 30600432K.

It ended up in Colorado, sold by a nearby dealer (unk.; I once researched the possibilities but do not recall who I thought most likely), with a Norseman snowplow, to the Pabst family (the beer people) and used at a home in Carbondale, Colorado (near Aspen). It was registered from '69-82 and spent most of it's life plowing the roads around the estate and carrying people to the main road or into town when there was deep snow.

When the Pabsts sold the property, the Land Rover stayed but the new owner burned up the clutch snowplowing... at approximately the same time it was last registered. At that time, there were 7,567 miles showing on a speedometer that was working and connected.

I bought the 88 in January of 1995. It still had the original Goodyear tires on it (all five) and, though they were badly rotted, they showed more than 50 percent tread. The rubber door seals and such were deteriorated. The upholstery was in good condition but all the stitching had rotted and seat panels were coming unsewn. There were more than a few mouse nests. The paint had gone powdery and there was a lot of Birmabright exposed. The original tool kit and jack was still in the tool box and appeared never to have been opened or used.

I had it drivable by April and it drove like a new Land Rover. The only serious mechanical issue was the clutch, which was badly burned up but easily repaired. Someone had also burned up the parking brakes shoes, again easily repaired. The engine compression was factory perfect and the inside of the engine was still shiny new. Beyond the clutch, getting it running was just maintenance and seals. Only one horror to relate: What was in the fuel tank still gives me nightmares. To this day, I contend that fuel was trying hard to revert back to a dinosaur. The stench made my wife ill and garnered complaints from the neighbors for days!

Needless to say, I bragged the thing up a bit and before long I had the proverbial, "offer I couldn't refuse." I sold it in July of 1996 with 7587 miles. I will not release the name of the person who bought it, but he is a prominent Chicago attorney who had it restored by Cooper Technica in Chicago. I never saw it after restoration and do not know if the person I sold it to still owns the vehicle.

So there you have it. The January production date with the VIN may give you another data point to work with.

Jim Allen
    Northwest Ohio

Default Jim's Bugeye

Jim, The info I had that you owned it was from an old 4x4 magazine, I think I may still have it. The history is fantastic and a sure sign of the dedication we feel for these old buggers.

David Ducat
    Lebanon, CT