Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: veggie oil conversion

Default veggie oil conversion

Has anyone here converted their diesel series to use veggie oil?
    What are the fuel conversion possibilities with either a diesel or petrol in the series LR?
    Also, how do you all justify using a low miles per gallon vehicle, if you use the series on a daily basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    Also, how do you all justify using a low miles per gallon vehicle, if you use the series on a daily basis?
    Justify what, to whom?

Simply really,
    Given an designed lifeaspan of about 10 years my IIA has outlasted 3.5 normal vehicles with the resulting reduction in polution from manufacturing those vehicles.

Fuel consumption is only one aspect of the environmental impact of a vehicle. On the cradle to grave scale of environmental impact the Prius, for instance, only comes in about 46th of current production cars IIRC. Those battery packs are nasty to manucature and dispose of.

Gregor

Ok I'll bite. Inexpensive (relatively), reliable but easy to fix/diagnose problems when they do occur, cool as hell and above all fun to drive! Some people may not have the $ to spring for a new hybrid- but they can afford the extra $10/week in gas and some people may not be as concerned for the environment as others...who knows? It's a complex issue you bring up- and I'm sure people are going to have their opinions. I'm glad you mention the new vehicle manufacturing pollution vs. old vehicle recycling argument as it's one that doesn't get as much press as mpg's. I don't have a lot to offer with regard to experience with veg oil conversions- but keep searching as it has been done; I've heard of more than one Series running on veg. In the meantime if you can afford it fill your xfer case and diffs with synthetic oil, fit fwh's and an OD- that should give you a few more mpg's if it's an issue of concern and the veggie oil conversion doesn't pan out.
    1960 Series II SWB
    1994 NAS D90 ST
    1963 SIIa SWB (sold)
    1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
    2000 Disco SII (sold)
    1995 RR Classic (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by graniterover
    Justify what, to whom?
    well... justify to self.....spending more dollars from your own pocket, enriching the oil companies, supporting terrorism by buying Arab gasoline.....

Quote Originally Posted by JayGoss
    In the meantime if you can afford it fill your xfer case and diffs with synthetic oil, fit fwh's and an OD- that should give you a few more mpg's if it's an issue of concern.
    I'll ask you more about this when I get my series!
    Until then, I have been talking with a guy who is selling a 1960, and says he did something with the differentials instead of using an overdrive....don't remember what he said, but wondering if that makes sense...is there something you can do with the drive shaft to give the vehicle more power, rather than using overdrive, and if so, is it preferable?
    Thanks!

Well there are a few things you can do to get better road speed and lower rpm's...but with a diesel LR (I'm assuming yours is diesel as you're talking about a veg oil conversion) I'm afraid that your Rover wouldn't be able to get out of its' own way! Here's what you may have heard of:

-fitting Range Rover diffs (converts from 4.7:1 to 3.54:1 ratio- I think)
    -fitting High ratio xfer case (RN sells it- I think it's made by Ashcroft)
    -OD (but you knew about this one)
    -FWH's (make front wheels "freewheel", decreasing friction in driveline, saving gas and increasing power)

The diff swapout and xfer case change would make a diesel LR such a slug that I would imagine you'd have to flog the gas pedal to get her moving...so much so that you may even waste fuel and your mpg's might go down! The OD is a nice option because you'll have more options for the appropriate gear- once you're on the highway or a nice stretch of backroads you can snick in the OD and lower your rpms.
    1960 Series II SWB
    1994 NAS D90 ST
    1963 SIIa SWB (sold)
    1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
    2000 Disco SII (sold)
    1995 RR Classic (sold)

Says he did something with the differentials instead of using an overdrive....don't remember what he said, but wondering if that makes sense...is there something you can do with the drive shaft to give the vehicle more power, rather than using overdrive, and if so, is it preferable?
    Thanks!
    You can swap differnetial ratios. The common one would be to replace the 4.70 series diff with a 3.54 from a RR or Dicso. There are a lot of drawbacks to this:
    1. The diff ratio affects high and low ration making your off road gearing less effective.
    2. A series engine and especially a diesel just doesn't have enough poke to push around 3.54s on anything other than very flat land. 4.70 diffs and overdrive are considered to give the best set up.

Cheers
    Gregor

well... justify to self.....spending more dollars from your own pocket, enriching the oil companies, supporting terrorism by buying Arab gasoline.....
    Oh brother. If that's what concerns you buy a bicycle instead. It's zero emissions and your dollars won't be going to the evil bogeyman.

Several things you can do to help:
    - Plan your trips to achieve as much as possible in the minimum distance. i.e. do the shopping on the way to work etc.
    - Don't drive anywhere unless you have to. No frivolous trips to enjoy driving for the hell of it.
    - Use public transport or ride your bike as much as possible.
    - Overall reduce your consumption of goods be it groceries, home projects or heating your home. All that stuff has to travel and that consumes oil.

I don't like paying $4 a gallon for fuel either but I have very little sympathy for that arguement.

Cheers
    Gregor

the differential thing vs. the overdrive was for a petrol engine.