Thread: Dash Padding for SIII?

Default Dash Padding for SIII?

I am guessing that this is one of the hardest parts to find. Has anyone found a source for the dash padding replacement (upper and lower) on a Series III?

I am sure a vinyl covering will help tons...however my dash has some drill holes, deep cracks and chunks missing.

What are some options?

I recovered the upper dash with nearly matching vinyl material from a fabric store. I trimmed off the raised edges of cracks and holes, filled them with spray foam insulation which was 'sanded' to a flush surface after hardening. I then I placed a very thin layer of cotton batting over the flat section on top, to even the surface, and glued the vinyl material in place, wrapping the edges under. I haven't been able to do anything much with the bottom dash section.....

Bob

Thanks Bob.
    Did you remove the old covering first?

I recovered my dash bits, too. Similar, got mine at a fabric store. Black marine vinyl. Unlike the factory stuff that's fairly thin, the stuff I found had a bit of a padded backing on it.

The top was easy enough, used upholstery spray adhesive, and a bunch of small clamps and clothespins to hold it tight as it cured.

For the bottom, it was a bit difficult to get it to wrap cleanly, as I didn't have a high-end heat-gun that could shrink up the vinyl around the complex 3-way curve... what I did was, trim to little overlap, one one short vertical seam. My intent was to find a trim-piece to cover that seam, but haven't yet.

I left the original in place, and just covered over.....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD