Thread: Window Motor Installation

Default Window Motor Installation

Hey guys and gals,

I have to install a new window motor in my 1997 Doscovery. Does anybody have any wisdom on this? Thanks so much.
    UNC Discovery
    UNC Discovery
    GO HEELS!

Default Window motor

Well,
    If you are gonna replace the motor, replace the regulator(its the edward scissor hands hinged metal peice of crap made from scrap aluminum cans-thats why they break-good ole brit engineering!!) too, it will eventually crap out anyway-do it as preventative maint.

-You will need a GOOD panel remover,
    -Order a bunch of the Red panel tabs(RN may carry, dealer should have in stock) they always break when you pop door panel off. I forget how many, ask RN or the dealer, maybe 10-15 per door??
    -the door handle held on by 2 bolts, the red tabs hold the panel on. try to pry where the tabs are and not in between them, thats what breaks them
    you will have to unplug the speakers too.
    -once panel off, the glass held by 2 bolts(8 or 10mm)
    -once glass seperated from regulator, lift it up to closed position and duct tape over door frame to hold in place(use 2 peices or it is a guillatine)
    -then unbolt the regulator(3-4 bolts)
    -then you can fish the peice-o-crap regulator and motor out(you must uplug the motor)
    -put on the bench, use the old reg and motor for example for new ones.
    -you may need to raid the old motor bolts for new motor(they use blue thread locker too).
    -force feed all the crap in and hopefully you remember how it went,
    bolt reg to door, then glass to reg.
    -test opereration before putting panel on(make sure wiring for motor routed and zip tyed)
    -put panel on

This operation is like herding cats, I'm used to doing it and now takes me like 30 min start to finish, it will take you 2 hrs probably. If in doubt let a Rover Tech do it.
    Cheers
    Jack
    Last edited by JSalyer; 12-21-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Default Thanks

Thanks Jack, that will really help! Merry Christmas. Matt
    UNC Discovery
    GO HEELS!

Default door panel removal

Check this out... it's a tool for removing the panel without breaking those little tabs off. I have one similar to this and hardly ever have them break, however the tabs do wear out after you remove and reinstall a number of times.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto-...QQcmdZViewItem

Rod

Default Panel Remover

Thanks Rod!~Matt
    UNC Discovery
    GO HEELS!