Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New tire questions

I can't say that I wouldn't suggest to most people to just go with BFG M/T-km's instead....
    exactly unless of course one really needed the steel sidewall and then I can see it.

my problem though with a true mud tire is the lack of sipes and back East where I am, there aren't any shops (or at least that I have found) that will sipe tires.

Blueboy sees it all including rain slick highways so I want the sipes. It helps in the snow as well although here in NY, the Rover will not travel on the liquid salt covered roads during the Winter months.

Jaime
    One Life Live It

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie

Last I priced them, a year or two ago, it was closer to $200 a pop through a local 4x4 shop, which I thought was outrageous.... I'd heard they were more elsewhere.

But $370? wow.

Glad I got mine at $80/each for five (take-offs off of an imported Series, four were *very* lightly used, and the 5th is still unused...) Very nice for the Series, but, I can't say that I wouldn't suggest to most people to just go with BFG M/T-km's instead.....
    Tire prices have skyrocketed in the last few years.

XPS Tractions are going for $225-50 per tire.

The Avon Traction Mileage tires are going for $339 a pop.

Hell even a decent set of AT are running close to $175 a tire.

EwS

If changing from 15" to 16" wheel size, will that mess up the speedometer reading, as it is probably timed with the size of the wheel, right?

Those XZL's may look the part, but no way are they worth that kind of money. In deep snow they are great, but on ice or lightly snow covered roads they are horrible. I have a set that came on my Ex-Mod 110 and they were down right scary at times last winter up here in the Great White North.

Brett

The size of the wheel doesn't affect the speedometer reading. It is the diameter of the tire that will affect the speedometer. My 33" tires cause the speedo to indicate about 10% low. You can send a speedo to Nisonger Instruments in NY and they can recalibrate it. Don't know what the cost would be but it can be done.
    Jim

If you can still get 33 9.50 15 BFG ATs then they are a good tire choice, I used them for years, they were good in the snow and you got the same overall diameter as a 7.50 16 but did not have to buy any new rims. If your 15" rims are in good shape then there is no real reason to change them. Rover went to 15" rims here because it was easier to get 15" tires in the appropriate diameter and load range here in the USA.

If you still feel compelled to get 16" rims you should consider the tires Treadwright sells. http://treadwright.com/
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Does either size, 15" or 16" wheel/tire have an advantage with regard to steering tightness?
    My steering seems rather loose.
    Right now the rover has very old, possibly original, G78-15 Suburbanites tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    If changing from 15" to 16" wheel size, will that mess up the speedometer reading, as it is probably timed with the size of the wheel, right?
    Choose a tyre with the same OD and, as stated before, the wheel has no effect.
    Edit. Meh, I need to read more posts before replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    I have read all the previous threads on which tires to choose. Still want to ask a few questions.
    If I am not doing serious off road driving, but once in a while must drive through pasture and mud, what can you all suggest for good tires?
    I live in NY, so if I do take the truck out on the salty icy road, would like the tires to stand up to it. May have to pull my husband out of a ditch once in a while!!!
    But mostly will be driving on paved county roads, and very rarely on a major highway.
    I now have 15" wheels, and will change to 16". Got any suggestions for type of wheel and type of tire?
    Something that has not been mentioned is the durometer of the "rubber": that is a measurement of the "material that the tire is made of. I.E. soft--hard . Hi mileage tires are hard an do not do well on wet roads, while soft tire compounds hang on to the road surface better, but do not wear as long. Since most of us are not concerned about getting 60,000 miles from a set of gums, my concern is more directed to a softer tire, which I feel a little safer while driving on a wet road.....just my opinion..........Donnie

16 steel wheels. Lots of River vendors carry them. The best thing for the roads in your area are "sipes" for ice traction. For the occasional mud, make sure they have some larger lugs that angle back on the tire for self clearing. Too much lug and it will be too noisy.