Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New tire questions

Quote Originally Posted by bearcrawl
    Is anyone running 255 85 16. Seems like a pretty nice size. I know only a couple companies make them but I run BFGs anyway.

A buddy of mine is running them on his Disco... had to do a good bit of work (replacing trailing arms, cutting out of body-work, etc.), but he's happy with them.

On a Series, would be easier to fit, but, if you've got a tired 2.25 churnin' it all along, that's a lot of weight....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Leslie,
    So basically you are saying that if I got the BFG A/T or M/T I could get a better fit for the 15" wheels, than with the Cooper tire?

Well, it depends on what you want..... a 'better' fit for you might not be a better fit for me.

They're all available in 235/75R15 (looking at TireRack, just to get a comparison of available tires for a given size). For a ballpark, that's going to be about a 29" tall tire.

BFG gives you the option of going down to a 215/75R15, which will end up being a bit under 28" tall, so it'll be a bit shorter, but the tire will be about a half-inch narrower.

The end effect, all else being the same, is that the truck would feel like it'd accelerate a little quicker, it'd be a little easier to steer, but it'd lose a half-inch in ground clearance.

Also, considering price: Again, basing it on TireRack, and using the BFG A/T as a common comparison, if you go with the 235/75R15 it's listed at $117/tire, but the 215/75R15 is $104.

I've not used the Cooper, I can't personally vouch for it, but I've not heard anything bad about them, either. I did like the BFG A/T on our Disco, but, I liked the Dunlop R/T a bit better, but it's harder to find for the same price, depending on the size ( it is usually a bit more, but, is a little less at TireRack at the moment). The BFG M/T is gonna be even more than the A/T, but, would have a more aggressive look, still be fine on the street, etc.

If you like the Cooper, you're gonna go w/ the 235/75R15 size.... and can go with that size for the BFG too.... or, narrower/a little shorter, too.

Depends on what you want it to feel like driving. If you don't mind the wheel being a little more difficult to pull on, you might prefer the 235 width, as it'll give you a little more clearance, and a lot more selection (like adding in the Dunlop R/T as a possibility). But, if you've been driving your Series around a bit, and aren't overly thrilled with how much effort to steer is required, and don't have to have that extra 1/2" of ground clearance, you could go w/ the 215 width in the BFG's...

Some things for you to mull over.....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Thanks Leslie,
    That clears things up a bit more.
    The reason I was going to get the Coopers is because they seem to have a better review for traction in snow than the BFG.
    Whether that is true or not, I don't know, it is a review written by the company, so who knows.
    Experience will know!!
    At this point I am not really looking so much at price, because in the end, spending a few more bucks, in my experience, is worth it if the quality is better. You have to live with the choice, and over time, a few dollars here and there won't matter.

If you don't mind the wheel being a little more difficult to pull on, you might prefer the 235 width

Blueboy has 235/85 and Leslie is spot on for the difficulty in turning the steering wheel when say parking or slow speed manuevering.

If there is going to be a lot of steering turns I usually end up going to low range so I can have some movement when making the turns.

Don't get me wrong, its not that hard, yet, you will notice that you're using some muscles!

And you're definatley right in getting what you want even if a little more in price as your choice will last for years - I'm on 7 now with the TracEdges and am more concerned with the rubber cracking than wear.

It has been said a few times, yet, sipes are your friend for snow and rain performance.

You really can't go wrong (imho) with any of the brands you're considering.

Jaime
    One Life Live It

Good perspective on saving a few bucks versus being happier w/ a bit better quality. But, sometimes there are budget limitations, so I mentioned such...

In this case, I think the Coopers or the BFG (or the Dunlops) would be fine... I know a lot have been happy w/ the Kuhmo's too, I've just never run them myself, either.

If snow's your concern, I'd take a look at the Dunlop R/T....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Does anyone know what the "bead to bead" width is on the 15' wheel?

Default 15" wheel width

There should be a number stamped on the face side of your steel wheels. This might help determin what width they are. Some came with a wider offset wheel but I think most are 5 inches wide.
    Tire shops want to know the rim/wheel width so they can mount the correct safe tire size. Most 15" tires here in the US are about 8-9 1/2 inches wide and mount to a wheel 7-7 1/2 inches wide. They will give you a puzzled look when you show up with a 5 inch wheel that you want a 9 inch wide tire mounted. My advise is try to find a tall skinny tire.
    I was flat towing my Series 1600 miles with dry rotted tires behind a Penski rental truck. The front R tire blew and caused me to change lane towards oncoming traffic. Lucky me an 18 wheeler had just passed by and no other traffic was in sight. So I instantly stopped at the next town with a tire shop and purchased 4 new tires. All they had in my size or I should say near my size was a set of 265/75R16 Dunlop Mud Rovers for my 16" wheels. Yep, a 9 inch wide tire on a 5 1/2 inch wheel. So on they went and off I was. They towed fine on the Series but I had issues later when I drove my Series for the first time and had to adjust the wheel stops. This killed my turning radious and I now have to live with it till this set wears out.
    Last edited by LH Drive; 08-22-2008 at 12:11 PM.
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW

I think I just found it. Rovers North had a tire size page on their website in 2003 ( I found a print out ) under their Rovers North tech tips page.
    The chart says that the 15" wheels used on the 67-74 Rover was 6" wide, with an offset of 1".
    I guess I answered my own question!

you might also want to verify this like LH Drive mentioned as you are assuming these are the original wheels which may or may not be the case.

food for thought.

Jaime
    One Life Live It