Page 96 of 137 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Series

^^Funny. My son & I took the Lightweight to the dealership to check out some Land Rover Gear (t-shirts, hats, etc.). They looked at us like we had lobsters coming out of our ears. Not even sure they knew it was a Rover.

Thanks all

I did take in between photos, you may enjoy visiting Flickr page http://flic.kr/ps/26fvA5

The most interesting in this project when you have memory with the rusty landy, I learn manual gear car driving on it when I was almost 14years young on it (as far I can remember) and now i am father, hoping repeating the same with my kids

What happened to your engine Rob? Hope it is not terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
    But you're still smiling!!
    it was a good day regardless of the mechanical problems, in the grand scheme of things it's all part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by busboy View Post
    I really like your front bumper, does the hand crank starter handle go on top of the bumper or through the 2 inch receiver, also are the tow hooks set to attach a front tow bar? Looks like it's made from 2X4 .125 wall rectangular tube, is that right?
    it is 2"x4" 0.1875" rectangular tube. The two tow hooks were placed there for recovery points, at the moment they are not for a tow bar, but in the near future I would like to find or make a tow bar that fits. Unfortunately I forget to specify I wanted the receiver hitch to line up for the hand crank, but the fabricator mounted it in the center. To operate the hand crank for now I have to put it on top of the bumper, when I get around to it I'll drill a hole for it next to the receiver hitch. I had it made by the same guy that did my roll cage: Swift Innovations in Groton CT http://swiftinnovations.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    What happened to your engine Rob? Hope it is not terminal.
    I am afraid it might be. I need to drop the oil pan and pull the crank to really see for sure what is going on. But if it is going to be a rebuild/refresh, the cost is going to be as expensive or even more expensive than a 2.5 diesel conversion, so I will be going that route. There was a ton of water in the oil, didn't have full power, had a bad knock/rattle (inconsistent with the rpm's, it would idle fine, and when I'd have my foot on the floor it would be fine, which I thought was odd), it didn't chug or sound like a bad head gasket, but it was emitting blue smoke. It gave up the ghost completely after I made it though a busy intersection on the way to the donut shop, felt like a total loss of compression, also the clutch stopped grabbing because oil was pouring out of the engine and coming out of the clutch drain plug. Either way I'll post up my findings and progress in the spring.

-Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Quote Originally Posted by rwollschlager View Post
    it is 2"x4" 0.1875" rectangular tube. The two tow hooks were placed there for recovery points, at the moment they are not for a tow bar, but in the near future I would like to find or make a tow bar that fits. Unfortunately I forget to specify I wanted the receiver hitch to line up for the hand crank, but the fabricator mounted it in the center. To operate the hand crank for now I have to put it on top of the bumper, when I get around to it I'll drill a hole for it next to the receiver hitch. I had it made by the same guy that did my roll cage: Swift Innovations in Groton CT http://swiftinnovations.blogspot.com
    Thanks for the update and link to the fabricator. His picture of the bumper is more detailed than yours. Does the receiver just go through the bumper section or is it supported at the rear of the receiver, have you used it yet and how much weight have you had on it? Thanks..
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by busboy View Post
    Thanks for the update and link to the fabricator. His picture of the bumper is more detailed than yours. Does the receiver just go through the bumper section or is it supported at the rear of the receiver, have you used it yet and how much weight have you had on it? Thanks..
    The receiver just goes through the rectangular tube and is welded on both sides. The end of the tube is not supported or attached to anything. I have yet to use it, but I am planning on using it for a removable winch mount or tow bar.
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Default post your Series- my 1969 IIA 88"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PanAm_2k_0159.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	7719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PanAm_2k_0367.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	7720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PanAm_2k_0510.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	7721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PanAm_2k_0513.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	7722

Here are a few pictures of my 1969 IIA 88" during what I now refer to as "The Long Trip," a drive along the Pan-American highway system from Alaska to Argentina. The repair picture is us sitting in Antigua, Guatemala trying to get a wobbling front wheel locked down, then a shot of the rear of the truck with its dust and decals in Tierra del Fuego, then the truck sitting with its front wheels in the the Antarctic Ocean in November of 2000, and then a short of the highway in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile, the driest place in the world. The truck certainly took a beating on that trip, but it made it all the way on one set of tires (BFG All-Terrains, can't praise them enough) and with some help from RN.

I got the truck in 1994 in Maine and rebuilt it onto a galvanized frame in 1999. The long trip was in the fall of 2000.

I still commute to work in it every day now.

Tom

Are you still living in Maine? I would love to share a beer, and hear your stories!
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Stomper-

Sadly, no, I'm living in Northampton, MA at the moment. Not too far from where they hold the Metal Dash Weekend in the fall. I spent several years in Wiscasset and then Brunswick.

Tom

Tom, that's an awesome trip and story!! Something I think most of us dream about. You should start a new thread and post more pics!!

thanks for sharing
    ~Steve
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----