Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with "Betsy"

Default What to do with "Betsy"

Hey guys, I need everyones opinion on my Classic. I own an 89 that was my fathers from new. I drove it for about a year and a half when I first got my license in high school. ALWAYS had the death wobble and tons of other problems but at the time I didnt care about any of it. Bought a shop manual and attempted all the problems down the road with my young brain and my tools. Finally when I went to college I couldnt afford it. It was either gas or parts for "Betsy" ( Name of my Truck) and I finally had to switch to somthing else. So now Im in my second year of college and have some money and have been thinking of what to do with her. I started her the other day and the EFI light was on, cosmeticly the truck isnt that great, and it runs poor. I brought it to The Rover Shoppe to get it apprasied and it was a LONG list to say the least. So my question is, should I try to repair my forever love and bring it back to what it deserves, or should I start seriously looking for another? Any imput would help, thanks.
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

Your decison may come to determining if this is a 1) based on a love for betsy and all the memories that come with her or 2) a financial / practical decision.

There are other options (like if you love working on car projects) but I left those out becuase 1 and 2 seemed to cover what you said in your original post.

Once you decide why you are makeing the choice and once you decide if you can make that choice. (for example -you might love her and want to keep her regardless of the $$ but have no place to park her) then I think it will all fall in place for you.

I love to work on her, and keeping her at my parents house is no problem because my Father shares the same memories as I do. I have some spare parts that I could swap from a Doner Rover (Radiatior, etc). She leaks from every corner and would probaly need all new seals. I think that since I already have truck, I know where she has been and the memories are too great Im going to attempt to give her another shot. Thanks for your imput!
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

I probably feel very similar to how you feel. My 1995 RRC is long past making economical sense to maintain, but I really have an emotional attachment and enjoy working on the truck. Once I figured out I was keeping the rover for emotional / entertainment reasons more than for practical reasons it was a ton less annoying when things would go wrong.

This board is a good resource for problems when you get stuck and if you dont have one you should look into geting the shop manual or the RAVE cd.

Yea I have a Workshop Manual that I sleep next to so that has been a great help as well as this forum. I think that I am just going to save as much as I can and keep what I am driving now until I know that shes ready for the road again. I just don't know where to start! I think I may just bring it somewhere and get a quote on how much it would be to overhaul the engine and tranny, I feel that would be a solid starting point. Do you know how much that would run approx? Im not sure if I exactly need to do that right now, she runs and shifts fine, I just feel that if Im going to do this I want to do it right but I want to have her back by January ( I just decided this which is why I am editing my post). I think that a tune up and some tyres will do her well, maybe some new gaskets here and there. I was looking for tyres and couldnt find the tyres that were on the truck when it was new. Does anyone know where I could find them?
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

Default Stock tires

The stock Michelins are no longer available. : (
    But, tirerack.com very recently added a Pirelli Scorpion ATR tire in the rare stock 205/ 80 R16 size (currently on back order). I would get those or the more expensive BFG All-Terrain Ta/KO in 235/70.

Perhaps you could post the long list of problems that the garage gave you, and we could prioritize it.

I'm putting my Range Rover back together too (or completly taking it apart depending on one's perspective).

Yea I saw those tires, they got good reviews so I think that I might go with them.
    So heres the list:
    Ever since I have got the truck shes had the famos "Death Wobble". I think that its my tyres though. The tyres that were on her failed inspection so I had a doner rover and put those wheels on. They were the Milichen street tyres which I didnt like so after they passed I put the old ones back on. BUT...I didnt put them on the same way they came off. After that it was just shakes above 40 whenever I hit a bump or turn. Tried putting both sets on, got them balanced and nothing, still had it. Got my swivel pins set, OME steering damper, new tie rods, NOTHING FIXED IT! So Im assuming new tyres are the way to go.
    The second problem is that shes been sitting the last 9 months and when I started her the EFI light was on. Checked the workshop manual and got 4 reasons. Air flow sensor, Lambda sensor, Water temp sensor, and throttle potentiometer. I know where the tach should be when I hear the engine because I am crazy like that( like how I can remember my VIN # but not my college work : ) and its lower than it would be. So not sure where to go with this but these are the two major problems that are keeping me from putting her back on the road in a safe condition.
    I am driving a cherokee right now only thing I could find before college started again, which makes me miss my rover so much more and really want to get her back asap so any help will be much appreciated thanks!!
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

Default Tires Tires Tires

Hey, so my plan is to put my classic back on the road thanksgiving break. Since I blew a brake line Im going to go to my junk yard and pull that section out and use it for the time being. I need to put new tires on. I saw the Pirelli Scorpion ATR on tirerack but I didnt see the BFG All-Terrain anymore. I went to Cooper tires and found these: http://coopertires.com/html/products...&artw=75&rd=16 They look pretty similar to the factory tires. The size I found them in are 225/75R16 which should fit my classic if im not mistaken. Are these my only choices? The Pirelli's got good reviews execpt for snow but with a Range Rover Im not too concered. Does anyone have the Pirelli's or the BFG All-Terrain's or the coopers? Which one would you recommend? Thanks!
    Last edited by KelseyM; 11-09-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

Default Tires

I used to have Cooper discoverer tires, I used them on the beach and in general driving without any problems (I think they were 225/75. Then I got 225/75 Dunlops which rub at full turn.

I just got a 1990 Rover that came with 205/80 Michelins (Synchrone in the front and XMS in the back).
    I have a 95 shop manual that lists 235/70 as an appropriate size as well. I checked tire rack and they have the BFG A/T available in this size. East Coast Rover reccommends this tire because it has a tough sidewall. The Dunlops were cheeper but I shredded one within a month. So in the long run they were a poor choice.