Thread: my marbles

Default my marbles

i posted this in the d-90 forum also...

searched "marbles" and came up empty.

it sounds more like one marble to be specific.

it started two days ago, sort of a weird clanking noise when it warms up, about a mile, lets say.

its sort of continuous, except for slowing down in gear, then the noise picks up.

it aint commin from the t-case, though ill creep under there tomorrow with a stethoscope to be sure. it sounds more like the tranny/clutch area. i never heard the noise in a previous rig of mine, but this is my first rover. i dont know if theres a specific shaft or bearing that is known to wear/spin in one of these.

it has a 3.9, running good. no noticable vibrations when i rev it in or out of gear. an lt77, that feels "loose" when shifting, like theres some play somewhere. it takes concentration to shift it smooth, and im a good driver (never need to replace a clutch in my rigs). and whatever tcase came with the NAS110.

the noise is the same when driving under power or drifting with the clutch in. like i said, using the engine to slow the truck is the only thing that makes the noise pick up. theres no sort of whirring noise id associate with a spun crank bearing, and id be shocked if a motor could run that smooth in that condition anyway, but one never knows.

any ideas before i buy a new clutch kit?

Oil pump? Makes that noise, but generally only at idle and when first starting.

it was the cat.

options are the OEM y pipe, the SS y pipe sold here, or custom.

opinions?

i used a standard aftermarket cat and it works and sounds just fine.
    Joshua 95D90 NAS SW
    Bleedin Green

This may be a silly question and I apologize in advance but has anyone ever tried to cut open the cat to remove the "marble"? I am having the same problem with the rattling marble sound on my '94. It bothers me because the Y pipe is spotless and solid and the driver side unit is fine, it is only the passenger side unit that has the rattle.
    Detroitdozer

99 Discovery II
    94 Defender 90