Thread: Smell of oil burning after turning off Discovery II

Default Smell of oil burning after turning off Discovery II

I just replaced my engine in a 2001 Discovery II and the old engine was shot. It had a rod knocking. Anyway the replacement engine has only 36k on it. It seems that when I run the truck for awhile and turn it off, I can smell a slight burning oil smell. Especially in the garage. I have a white rug under the vehicle and see no spots. Could it be from the recent swap and a lot of greasy hands touching stuff or do you think that there is oil dripping down somwhere on the exhaust. I would think that if it where greasy hands and oil left over from the swap it would eventually quit, right? Also, How often should I check my oil and how often to replace. What should I replace with as well. I have read the owners manual and know what it suggest, but just wondering if someone else has a better option.

Another question is that I had to also replace the cats on th exhaust when I put in the new engine. They seem to get hot. I know they are suppose to, but how hot. They have about 300 miles on them and they are kind of rainbow colored already. I have looked under the truck at night after a day of driving and they are not glowing, but I have noticed some slight smoking on the edge of one. Think this is a problem?

I was told by my mechanic that he thought that my first engine threw a rod because the cats where blocked. I have had it diagnosed, but if the cats where melting shut, would'nt my check engine light go off from the O2 sensors pre cats?

Thanks, Texasbear

probably the valve cover gaskets , tighten them or a least check them. using , any oil or spots on the deck?