97 Disco 1 Auto

Hey guys... there was a k+n on the truck when i bought it but switched to the stock filter as of now, and soon after I had bad misfires randomly one day when on the highway, loss of power, didnt sound good when over 80... and in Drive it was worse when it shifted into 4th gear. (auto) and seemed to rev better and higher when in 3rd... as i had to use that, then second to climb the mountain road to my house. all the old plugs were fouled and looked rich... i changed the plugs and wires and it ran sweet. way better cruising speeds, and snappy. cruised around for a day, no highway driving yet though. then the next day i went for an hour stint out on the the highway and sure enough after 25 minutes of cruising at highway speed it started to hunt a bit up and down, then starts the misfires again, this time throwing the check engine light(havent pulled the codes yet). so i limped it home, and here it sits.... i think the maf is the trouble, would it be dangerous to unplug it and the airbox sensor and drive around for a half hour to check? Also there has been a funny idle and seemed to clear itself mostly when the fresh plugs and wires were in. and i have already cleaned the throttle body and IAC valve, so i dont think they are to blame... maf aswell???

disco stu