Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Series coiler on a Disco

3.25" in each side does not sound too bad. My stocks wheels may already be that far under! Any chance a nice set of fender flares is all you will need? The wider stance would be nice off road and things like narrowing axles (custom driveshafts are had to get if you break one) or widening the body sound real expensive and time consuming.

Exit 105 off the parkway on the jersey shore

Quote Originally Posted by bfrieck View Post
    I've been interested in putting my IIA 88" body on a Disco chassis. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to keep the wheels from sticking out beyond the Series body. From hub face to hub face (where the wheels contact the hubs), the Disco axles measure about 6-1/2" wider than the Series axles and it doesn't look there is room to fit everything even if I go the trouble/expense of narrowing the Disco axles. The Disco chassis measures exactly the same 31" as the Series Chassis, but the coils are mounted completely outboard of the frame rails. I've thought of three solutions to the problem (1) narrow the Disco axles, (2) widen the Series body (ughhh), and (3) use wheels with enough offset to take care of the moving the road wheels back under the Series wings. Option 3 will probably look a bit funny because wheels with enough offset would look a lot like the wheels that make dual wheels work. I suppose there's a fourth option in the form of some sort of wheel well flares but I've also thought those were a bit cheesy. Any ideas?
    I believe there are wheels with enough of an offset to allow you to keep the tires under the body. Think they are 1ton wheels or 130 wheels?

I would also vote for keeping the axles the stock width. I have stock coiler axles under my 109 and I know it isn't for everyone, but I like the look of the wider stance. The obvious disadvantage though, is the truck gets dirty pretty easily. You can see a photo of my 109 near the bottom of this page... http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...ght=#post43544
    '62 109 - coil sprung
    '64 88 - coil sprung

Name:  steering and seat.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  77.5 KB

mine will have an ambulance box on the back so no wheel stick out issue there, going with what the defenders call "eye brows" on the front wheel arches.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Hey HybridIIA. I used Disco Di diffs on my 88 but i went the parabolic spring route and I picked up a lot of fiddly issues that had to be sorted to make it all work. I only have one problem right now. I have to get rid of the body lead towards the drivers side. I suspect it is to do with the hight/thickness of the spring perches on the diffs.
    What I would like to know on your '62 109LWB did you use a designa chassis. Because that is an awesome looking truck
    Hey Scott I did not want to hyjack your post just curious about the coiler chassis on his truck.Good luck with your project and keep us posted with photos be interesting to see how it works

Quote Originally Posted by woza View Post
    ...Hey Scott I did not want to hyjack your post just curious about the coiler chassis on his truck.Good luck with your project and keep us posted with photos be interesting to see how it works
    no worries, it's a '94 D1. i have a build thread over on g&r if you're interested
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Thanks Scott I will go check it out