Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Rover owner...a few problems

Default OME springs

TigerDan,
    Look below, you will see you are good to go on the rears, but they have installed the wrong ones in front. They probably installed rears in the front too. This is a typical way of achieving 3" of lift in Rovers, but they didnt do it right. If you cant tell what they are, order two new fronts from the chart below to match them correctly. Go on the ExpeditionExchange website(https://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/indexsprings.htm) for good explanation of all the possible combos for OME springs. The vibration is from the horrible pinion angle you have up front and it will lead to ujoint failure eventually.
    [CENTER]

Part No.
    Axle
    Rate (lbs./in.)
    Recommended
    Application

Length (DS)
    Length
    (PS)

Resulting
    Lift

Front
    180-250
    Light Duty (under 0-50 lbs.)
    15.1"
    14.6"
    2"

FONT=Verdana]761 [/FONT]
    Front
    Medium Duty (50 lbs. to 110 lbs.)
    15.7"
    15.4"
    2"

Front
    Heavy Duty (110 lbs. to 250 lbs.)
    15.3"
    14.9"
    2"

Front
    Extra Heavy Duty (220 lbs. to 350 lbs.)
    16.6"
    16.6"
    3"

Rear
    Medium Duty (unspecified)
    16.9"
    16.5"
    2"

Rear
    Medium/Heavy Duty (unspecified)
    16.7"
    16.3"
    2"

Rear
    300-340
    Heavy Duty (220 lbs.)
    16.5"
    16.1"
    2"

Rear
    Extra Heavy Duty (440 lbs.)
    16.5"
    16.1"
    3"
    Cheers,
    Jack of Bavaria
    Last edited by JSalyer; 01-05-2007 at 08:25 AM.

Default Crap, all that work, lost the reply!!

Dan,
    Goto
    https://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/indexsprings.htm

view the article on spring usage and type......

Jack

Jack, I had found some specifications for the OME springs after I posted and discovered that the 764s are indeed rears and was just poking around on the site you linked. It seems that the 764s are not optimal for the rear but should be okay for my needs at this point. So now I guess I need to figure out just what they did put up front. I'll pull one out and measure free length and rate just for the fun of it.

BTW, I see you're in Bavaria, are you anywhere near Wurzburg?

Thanks J!m, I'll double-check the endplay and get an actual measurement with my dial indicator, I was just guesstimating the forementioned figure. Iwas looking at the PLH009 Drive flanges last night, I guess I'll get a pair coming...
    Last edited by TigerDan; 01-05-2007 at 09:28 AM.
    1991 RRC
    1989 RRC "Parts rig"
    1961 LR SII 88"
    1967 Sunbeam Tiger
    1970 Mercedes 250C
    1989 Ford Ranger 5.0 H.O.
    1968 Ford F250 CS

Default springs

Dan,
    measuring the springs may or may not help, as they may have sagged some(though I think not, as tall as your front end is), the number is also printed on the spring, but is very hard to see with the spring in place, so might be worth pulling one. it is in light grey lettering.
    I work at Grafenwohr, retired from Hohenfels.....
    later,
    jack

UPDATE:

I decided to torch one coil off of each front spring to see what would happen. It lowered the front end by maybe 1/2 inch, but 90% of the buzzing noise/vibration problem disappeared. On the basis of that I ordered a pair of OME 761 springs, which I felt were a good match to the rear 764s for my application and useage. I installed them on Sunday and the difference is like night and day! The Rover sits level now, the vibration is completely gone and the handling and steering is much more stable and normal, in fact it's now pleasant to drive, I don't have to fight it. With an alignment I think it'll be right back where it should be.

I don't know what the front springs that were in it were as I can find no markings on them at all. They measure .695 on the wire diameter (as opposed to about .640 on my new 761s) and about 18" free length (allowing for the missing coil). They also appear to be a progressive spring, having tighter, closer coils over about 1/3 of the spring. Probably would have given me adequate ride height with a diesel (and a massive winch bumper/winch) up front...

Also, I bought a couple of universal 3-wire O2 sensors for 25 bucks each and solved the CEL/code 45 problem. Still didn't pass smog though, have to replace the converters. I have new ones now, probably install them this weekend.

Another annoying problem I've been having was when I start it in the morning, it fires right up but after 10 seconds or so it would drop a cylinder and not cold idle. I would have to nurse it for a ways and it wouldn't run well till it was fully warmed up. If it died while cold, it was very hard to restart. No codes, but I replaced the plugs when I did the O2 sensors (right bank were sooty black...no surprise there, with a bad sensor on that side) and got no improvement.

But when I took the shock out on the driver's side to replace the spring, I disconnected the coil wire and MAF harness to get them out of the way. When I reconnected the coil wire later I noticed that the ignition noise suppression condensor was nasty, rusty and cruddy looking. Thinking it could be partially shorted internally I unplugged it. It now runs good and strong right from cold and will even cold idle...so I guess that had something to do with it!

So, onward and upward. Nice to be getting some of the bugs worked out. Be nicer still to get some decent milage out of it. It was 8-9 mpg on the first couple of tanks with a jump to almost 12 after I replaced the O2 sensors and plugs. With this ignition problem behind me, and when I get the new cats in I'd be really happy if it got 15. I suppose that might be a tad optimistic...
    Last edited by TigerDan; 03-13-2007 at 08:02 PM.
    1991 RRC
    1989 RRC "Parts rig"
    1961 LR SII 88"
    1967 Sunbeam Tiger
    1970 Mercedes 250C
    1968 Ford F250 CS

Kind of fun to re-read this old thread I started when I first got my RRC. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. I still have the truck, it's been a work in progress. We've taken a lot of of trails together over the past few years, from Oregon to Death Valley and from the Redwood Coast to the Rubicon.

Nowadays the '91 sports a 3" lift. For quite some time I ran aggressive 33" tires but am currently back down to the 265/75 BFGs like were on it when I bought it. Great all-around tires and I can still pop the 33's on if I need them for a trip. I'm also running a lot of protection, homemade diff guards that I built when I swapped the axles, ('92 RRC in the front with TrueTrac, D1 in the rear with a Detroit locker) Rockware sliders, GDE front bumper, Bottorf rear (yuk!) which I plan to modify extensively as it's poorly made and a crappy design to begin with. Also running a semi-hidden winch mounted between the frame rails and pulling through the front bumper.

As for drivetrain, I'm running a '95 4.2 through an R380 5-speed and an LT230. The front driveshaft is a DII unit I rebuilt, the rear is stock. There are a number of other upgrades, including a full drawer/storage system in the rear which I designed and built with help from a friend who owns a cabinet shop.

As for me, I've managed to increase my knowledge of Rovers considerably over the years, having thrown myself into them whole-heartedly. I'm member of the Northern Ca. Land Rover club (NCLR) and am a moderator on another Rover forum, and am currently making a living parting out, flipping, restoring and otherwise working on Rovers. I currently have my '91 and my '61 SII and have added a '94 RRC LWB, two '95 LWBs (which I co-own with a friend and partner) and a massively lifted '88 RRC on 39.5s (which is actually a parts truck.) I also have gathered most of the parts I need to build a D90 which will be my primary off-road and rough trail rig, keeping the '91 in reserve for more daily-driver and mild trail/expedition duties. Plans for the '91 include a possible diesel conversion at some point in the future.

My, how things do change with the passage of time...!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1991 RRC
    1989 RRC "Parts rig"
    1961 LR SII 88"
    1967 Sunbeam Tiger
    1970 Mercedes 250C
    1968 Ford F250 CS