Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "BANJO" STEERING WHEEL

Default "BANJO" STEERING WHEEL

New to this forum, I am looking for a Series IIA Banjo type wheel. I would prefer NOS, but a good condition one for restoration will work too.

Do you not have one at all? Are you thinking of replacing the 'newer' steering wheel with the older 'banjo' type? If so know that is not a direct replacement.

If you currently have one that is heavily cracked it can be repaired, I have not done it but I believe that people have used the 'plastic wood' stuff - I know someone will chime in with the absolutely correct product to use.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...early-iia.aspx

Our hosts to the rescue.

You can always ask Les if RN has a good used one - restorable ones go for some serious coin on eBay.

I have a 67' Landy with the newer wheel, and yes I would like to change it to the wired look. I also know that I would have to change some of the column pieces. Not looking forward to trying to restore a wheel since I have no clue, that is the reason I prefer a "NOS" product.

Much appreciated for the link, and I had contacted RVN before and they said they do not stock older steering wheels anymore.

I also would like a safari top... Any out there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric W S
    http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...early-iia.aspx

Our hosts to the rescue.

You can always ask Les if RN has a good used one - restorable ones go for some serious coin on eBay.
    But the steering wheel in the picture is not the early Banjo type. . .
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

I will try calling them on a used one.....Thxs!!
    George
    67 Series IIA
    67 Porsche 911s

You will have to change your whole steering column from a SIIA to the SII type. I purchased my SII column brand new NOS for $300 which was a great deal. They are getting harder to find.

Here's a photo. SIIA is on the left, SII on the right. Note that the IIA steering wheel attaches with a large nut, while the II attaches simply with a clamping bolt that tightens on the splines. Splines are also different sizes.

61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

i have a few banjo wheels left <gauto@localnet.com>

R they new old stock or in need of restoring. How much? Do you also have the column for that conversion. Thanks,
    George
    67 Series IIA
    67 Porsche 911s

Quote Originally Posted by LaneRover
    But the steering wheel in the picture is not the early Banjo type. . .
    True. But if your read the description you'll see if referred to as an early banjo steering wheel. The later steering wheels are also much cheaper....