Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Got My Lightweight!! Stay Tuned for Project Updates and Plenty of Questions!

Well, I lopped off the back half of the chassis to free up some garage space. It's amazing how quickly a 36' x 36' garage fills up with stuff.

By the way, my old springs are in fairly decent shape - if anyone needs a set for cheap, please let me know. Also, I'll eventually be getting rid of the set of 5 wheels & tires. The tires are 235/85/16 General Grabber AT II that are practically new. The spare has never touched the ground, but I think that the wheel is bent judging from the amount of balancing weight on it.

Half a Rover (Well, maybe it's more like 1/3):

Checking a few critical dimensions:

Finally, a few things actually put back together (even if only temporarily, it makes me feel like I'm making progress):
    Last edited by jac04; 11-15-2008 at 07:10 PM.

are you still looking to get rid of the general grabbers? would the rims come with them?

^ Yes, and Yes. Send me a PM if you are interested.

... a few more parts taken off... I just ordered a bench top sandblast cabinet, so I will be starting restoration of all those small rusty pieces fairly soon. For the big stuff, I will wait until spring and use my regular sandblaster in my outside makeshift 'booth'.

The bulkhead coming off:

Not much left. Hopefully I can find some time to pull the engine & trans tomorrow:

I had a few more hours to work on the tear-down.

Here is the engine & transmission coming up....

... and out.....

...and into its new home, which is on 6 swivel casters to make it easy to move around the garage...

Almost gone:

Great buy! I'm new to this forum (never noticed it before on RoversNorth), but glad I found it. Heck of a project you have going. Look forward to following your progress.

Lots of Rover folks over on www.ExpeditionPortal.com with a great forum there as well you may want to poke around.

I have a 1982 Land Rover Lightweight - here's a site with my pics and modifications. Lots of ongoing work as well.

http://web.mac.com/eelwyn/Pokey/Home_Page.html

Good luck!
    telwyn
    1982 Land Rover Lightweight
    1999 Land Rover Discovery II
    1967 m416 trailer

The front axle ass'y out from under the old chassis:

A little surgery required to get the steering relay out of the chassis:

The old rusty chassis finally out of my garage:

Now, the long, tedious task of restoring every little piece and slowly re-building this vehicle from the frame up.

Hmmm.....You've been working on this for what....a month or month-and-a-half now and you've disassembled a lightweight so that there's no original part left that's bigger than a bread box. You've ordered and received tons of new parts. I'm presuming that you've gone to your regular job during this period...

I'm really curious--how the heck did you find the time to put up Christmas lights on your house?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne
    I'm presuming that you've gone to your regular job during this period...
    I knew I was forgetting something!!

In reality, most of my time spent working on the Rover is between 8:30pm and 1am. We have a 3-year-old daughter and a 2.5-month-old son, so that's the only time I have.