Thread: Head gasket blunder

Default Head gasket blunder

Today as I'm halfway into getting to the head gasket on my 95 LWB to replace it and I've seem to come to a problem that may not have such an easy solution.

I'm taking the 12 intake manifold bolts out that have to come out in a specific order starting from the back (closest ot firewall) on the drivers side. As I'm stuggling to reach it I didn't realize that with the socket that I'm actually tightening it. I had just had to hammer the ram air intake off so I'm in the mindset of things being a bit stuck and not realizing that it's getting tougher and tougher to turn this bolt. Then the worst sound, snapped it right off as I punch the fuel rail almost as hard as I can with no more resistance from that pesky bolt.

So now I'm stuck with half a bolt jammed down in the block. I'm hoping that since it's the furthest to the firewall, and 1/12 may not affect things all that much??

Or is there a nice trick to getting that half a bolt out?? I'm going to try the little tool that drills out a starting notch in the bolt and is reversed threaded to supposedly grab on to the bolt and pull it out, but I had no real luck with that on my old SIII where almost every bolt on the thing broke as I took it down to the frame.

Thanks for the ideas

First off, it makes no difference what order you take them out. Secondly, they go into the heads, not the block. You'll simply need to take the head with the broken bolt, carefully prickpuch the center of the broken bolt, drill it down and take it out with an easyout.
    It absolutely matters, as all must be tight, around each intake port. Additionally, the back 4 seal the water passageways between the heads and the intake manifold. Without it, you are 100% guarenteed a water leak, down the valley and into the pan.

Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Thanks Terrys

I've gotten everything out now except the heads and can see where it's sitting. This is my first go at something as lengthy as the head gasket...got a bit worried there. Found some interesting items once the rocker covers came off - in one a small hose clamp, and in the other an extra rocker cover bolt. Guess I'm not the first one to be in there.

let me guess... the hose clamp was in the right side cover (from the flame trap)...

I am sure you'll be neater when reassembling it! Good luck!
    '95 RRC LWB (white)
    '95 RRC LWB (Avalon Blue) - sold
    '95 RRC LWB parts truck ready and waiting to donate to the cause...