Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1984 Defender 110 200tdi RHD

One more comment you made that I forgot to address was that of ebay and the vehicles that are listed with conflicting years. In defence of those who legitimately list gray market vehicles (a comment which might seem to cover lots which are not legitimate) are the sellers who get slammed by people unfamiliar with the gray market rules of the late 70s, and all the '80s. The ebay formats which a lister has to endure are written by part time college kids, long on IT, and short on experience. The Ebay Motors format does not allow vehicles beyond a certain year, which don't also have a 17 digit VIN. The US adaopted the 17 digit format well before many other countries, but vehicles allowed into the US during the 5 year gray market period did not all have 17 digit VIN numbers. There are hundreds of brain dead DMV employees, accusing potential registrants of fraud, when it simply comes down to their ignorance. My son's Stage one was registered from day one in NY, one of the toughest states for DMV regs. It was subsequently reregistered in RI (not so tough), where my son purchased it. The hoops the AK registry put my son through when he took his truck out there was seemingly endless, until the guy he bought it from sent him a duplicate registration from RI. He then got his plates, with no apologies.
    I find it pretty unfair for people on the various boards to start threads which, by inference, make the seller out to be some shyster trying to pull a fast one and profit from the sale of an illegal vehicle, when much of the time it boils down to either no knowledge of past import rules, or, frankly, jealousy.

Default As usual Terry is the voice of reason

Well I learned a valuable lesson from the e-bay and RN postings. The e-bay attempt was a complete joke. The buyer backed out almost immediately I'll never accept a zero bid buyer ever again. Second, I love the fact that people seem to want to chit chat about EVERYTHING else except the sale of vehicle. Third. This ain't some basket case truck we are talking about. This vehicle is very well known. It has been serviced in Vermont by ALL the major Land Rover repair shops and I think just about every RN employee knows about the vehicle (and the extensive amount of money spent and time spent on making it what it is). Anyone with half a brain can look at the list of parts and labor hours and get easily past $20,000.

Will I try to sell it again? I don't know. It was an achingly difficult decision in the first place and was a reflection of the recent economic hardships. In the meantime I'm enjoying it and entertaining offers from folks who are still interested in REALLY buying the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by VTRover
    Well I learned a valuable lesson from the e-bay and RN postings. The e-bay attempt was a complete joke. The buyer backed out almost immediately I'll never accept a zero bid buyer ever again. Second, I love the fact that people seem to want to chit chat about EVERYTHING else except the sale of vehicle. Third. This ain't some basket case truck we are talking about. This vehicle is very well known. It has been serviced in Vermont by ALL the major Land Rover repair shops and I think just about every RN employee knows about the vehicle (and the extensive amount of money spent and time spent on making it what it is). Anyone with half a brain can look at the list of parts and labor hours and get easily past $20,000.

Will I try to sell it again? I don't know. It was an achingly difficult decision in the first place and was a reflection of the recent economic hardships. In the meantime I'm enjoying it and entertaining offers from folks who are still interested in REALLY buying the vehicle.
    Terry's points are well-taken, though we don't particularly see eye-to-eye on some stuff. VTRover, you are clearly savvy about the price/value of your rover. However, the absolute LAST place I would offer a truck that I wanted to sell that has any value that someone (with half a brain) would want to buy would be ebay. Ebay is a lowball market that is wrought with scammers who want to buy your truck for $5k over what you sell it to them so that you can cut them a check for the difference while one of their "associates" picks up the car and ships it to them. I learned that lesson while trying to sell both of my discoveries. Thankfully, I didn't get rolled, but ebay is a great market for parts, not trucks of any value. If you want to sell it to a responsible owner and get anything out of it, sell it here or at the LandRoverExchange.com.

As I'm sure you well know, or should know, just because you put big bucks into it doesn't mean you'll get big bucks out. Make no mistake, your truck is outstanding - the parts list and the service history make it an excellent purchase (manufacture date / import date questions aside), I'm sure. Clarificatoin: Anyone with half a brain and over $20k of fun money on hand can get easily past $20,000.

Personally, I hope you don't sell it. Not because I hope you fail at selling it, but because I know what enjoyment you will get out of keeping it. It killed me every time I had to sell one of my Disco's.

Sorry if you got bent over all of the banter started by your posting your truck. If you do decide to sell it again, I hope you get enough out of it to make you content with selling it. Come 2009, if I hit some $20k+ windfall, I'll be the first to come knocking at your door with cash on hand and a 6-pack of Bass Ale to sooth the sting as you say goodbye to your baby.