Thread: 1996 P38 Cruise Control

Default 1996 P38 Cruise Control

The cruise control on my 1996 Range Rover SE. is not working. The light on the dash lights when switch is engaged. I have replaced the vacuum tubes engine side of the firewall. I have removed the vaccuum pump and bench ran it, it seems to work.
    I suspect the steering wheel switch, the set switch does not spring back as the reset switch does. Is this a possible problem? How difficult is it to get at the switch?

Thanks

my 1999 P38 isnt working either, let me know if you find the solution?
    Joshua 95D90 NAS SW
    Bleedin Green

Default cruise control vacuum line

The vacuum line on the cruise control will crack and leak over time. Do not replace with soft vacuum hose, or it will collapse under load and the cruise will still not work. Source out some "hard" vacuum or fuel line of the correct diameter, fiber reinforced fuel line works well. Replace all of the vacuum lines, two short runs at the pump and the long run to the brake switch.

Quote Originally Posted by dharms
    The cruise control on my 1996 Range Rover SE. is not working. The light on the dash lights when switch is engaged. I have replaced the vacuum tubes engine side of the firewall. I have removed the vaccuum pump and bench ran it, it seems to work.
    I suspect the steering wheel switch, the set switch does not spring back as the reset switch does. Is this a possible problem? How difficult is it to get at the switch?

Thanks
    Question: You can rule out the Cruise Control Unit (PCBA) by answering the following question:

When you stop the vehicle and turn of the engine but with the key still on the accessory position (and within 45 seconds), can you still open or close a window or the sunroof?

If answer is No I would suspec the Criuse Control Unit if Yes I would suspect the switch.
    1971 109 Safari Wagon (1 ton chassis)
    1995 LWB Range Rover Classic
    1997 Defender 90 (repaired at last)
    2001 P38A Range Rover