Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank Leak!?!?

Default Gas tank Leak!?!?

So I got my Rover back on the road this past week and I smelled gasoline everytime I got near the truck. I looked underneath and saw that the gas tank had gas on the sides of the tank and the drainage bolt. I know that the tank was replaced once already. The only reason I could think of is that gas sat in the tank for about a year, probaly a couple gallons. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

There's been a couple of recalls on these tanks. Check with local dealership. If not, replace then tank. They can leak at the seams. Common problem.

Will the Dealer replace the tank for free? Is there tanks that wont leak from the seals so I only have to do this once?
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

Quote Originally Posted by KelseyM
    Will the Dealer replace the tank for free? Is there tanks that wont leak from the seals so I only have to do this once?
    The recall covered all vehicles, & yes it was free. However, they might try to sell you a fuel pump. We had problems w/removing the pumps & putting them in the new tanks and behold, a week later, the fuel pump went out. This was not covered. If the pump is the original one, I'd replace it.

As far as never leaking again. Well, it is a Rover. You shouldn't have a problem. If the leak is from the one of the seals, however, it may not be covered under the recall. Call the dealership & ask about the recall only. They should have it in their database. Remember, safety recalls never expire.

Ok, I will check it out ASAP, THANKS!!!
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

If your tank is plastic it has probably already been replaced in the recall. If it is metal it probably hasn't been done yet.

Smile

Getting fixed by the dealer on Monday!
    Cost $0.00
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

Quote Originally Posted by KelseyM
    Getting fixed by the dealer on Monday!
    Cost $0.00
    You owe me a beer for the heads up!

Definitely, but you'll have to wait about 2 years unless they change the drinking age haha...
    Kelsey M
    1989 Range Rover Classic
    1971 Series 2A 88"

Quote Originally Posted by ctrangie
    If your tank is plastic it has probably already been replaced in the recall. If it is metal it probably hasn't been done yet.
    Actually, they had a recall on the plastic tanks too. I think up to '96 on the Discos and all of the Classics.