Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer Repair

Default Speedometer Repair

I have a late Series IIa spedometer (three lights at the bottom, screw in cable) that seems to be broken as I've replaced the speedometer cable and that didn't solve the problem of it imediately running up to 50-60 mph and then staying stuck there as well as the odometer not working at all. Does anyone know where I can get it repaired and possibly a rough estimate of cost? Thanks in advance,
    Jim

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rhodes/:
    Smiths/Jaeger Speedometer Repair Manual

maybe that can help?
    http://www.gaugeguys.com/Repairs/speedos.htm

http://www.nisonger.com/repairfacility-frame.html

Unless you have a particular attachment to that speedo it mght be cheaper to buy a used one- I recently got one off ebayUK for $15 shipped.
    Last edited by yorker; 01-07-2007 at 09:57 AM.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

I, too, am interested in replacing the speedometer / odometer in my 1975 Series III Santana. Does anyone know the legal implications of changing out the odometer? I live in a state (PA) where you have to record the vehicle mileage every year when you renew license plates.

Thanks.

Aaron

it varries by state, In NY for a vehicle that old that was originally equipped with only a 5 digit odometer they wouldn't do anything because they assume it is likely beyond the mechanical limits of the device anyway, in other words a 30 year old vehicle has likely exceeded 99,999 miles and started over anyway. If you want to know I'd contact PennDOT

Generally with historic vehicles it is difficult to prove odometer fraud so states like NY are unwilling to pursue it.

If you want to you can have your new speedo reset to whatever odometer reading you want. I swapped one once and reset it to match the former speedo's reading.

Land Rover UK Forums

Since I have nothing to loose I'm going to try to take it apart and clean it myself. I have a person looking for a replacement as I type. I have no particular attachment to this speedometer so I believe a replacement is in order if I can't fix it myself. Thank for the great website. It will be very helpful.
    Jim

pull it apart- whatever is wrong might be obvious.

I wonder if these can be re-calibrated for different diameter tires? I see the one site I sent you a link to claims they can recalibrate Smiths Speedos for Cobras to different diff ratios... That would be essentially the same thing.

Land Rover UK Forums

To: Matthew Nelson
    Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 9:58 AM
    Subject: RE: complimentary product catalog

We can custom calibrate any speedometer to account for changes in diff ratios, tire sizes… etc., at no additional cost, during the course of our standard $160 (plus shipping) rebuild. We will however need some very specific input from you. Calibration information is only available via phone; you can reach us weekdays between 8am & 5pm (EST) @ (914) 381-1952.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Peter Bayer

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter104
    I, too, am interested in replacing the speedometer / odometer in my 1975 Series III Santana. Does anyone know the legal implications of changing out the odometer? I live in a state (PA) where you have to record the vehicle mileage every year when you renew license plates.

Thanks.

Aaron
    Many places where this is true have a section to state that the milage may not be original to allow for just this problem. check the application form.
    John

Default speedo

You could keep checking ebay. I got a nice SIIA 109 speedo from Land-Rover Orphanage for a fair price. I feel that with Ford not supporting the series or classic Rovers that these places will soon be the only way to get parts for them.

Jim Wolf
    Elvenwood Kennel

Well I took the old one apart last night and a whole bunch of pieces fell out of it so I found a new one and will be going that route. If anyone needs an old speedo for parts I'll gladly give yoiu mine for the cost of shipping.
    Jim