Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1963 Series IIA Project Questions (Jeep Conversion)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike
    All of this said, if the vehicle has just sat and has not been abused, I would try to revive it as it sits before you contemplate major swaps. Look at what Mercedesrover and I started with- not exactly show-winning examples of the marque.
    Well I think I spent about 5 hours today on the interent researching this and now I kinda feel like I have solid gold sitting in my garage. Mike said it best above and after reading and seeing what a lot of you have started out with I feel like I would be an idiot not to restore this thing to original. I have all the original parts and just very minor surface rust that can be removed with a good pressure wash. I am hoping now that we can get it running like Mechman said without any major rebuilds.

Thank you so much everybody you have helped a lot especially Alaska Mike and Mechman

I am really excited now!!!!!!!!!

I look at your situation from two perspectives.
    The first is you now have a truck that is part of your chilhood, probably gifted to you and was a family members in it's more lively days. That may not weigh that much to you now but, trust me, it will eventually.

If you're not in a financial position to do right by the truck, set it aside, preserved, of coarse, for a day, probably not all that far away, when you can do it justice.

Whether you ever plan on parting company, treat it as though it's got value, and with time, will appreciate. All by itself, it will. However, doing anything inappropriate, and it won't, and in fact will go down in value fast, more so if it isn't even done properly.

I've been suffering through the ins and outs of these since I bought my first one in 1972, and while I may have taken a shortcut or two in the past, prefer to keep to the book as often as possible. The engines are just one big lump, and are easily rebuilt. We're not talking Asian automotive tolerance, we're talking '40s vintage agricultural technology. A proper set of tools (which don't include vise grips and adjustable wrenches) a few cans of PB Blaster, Kroil, or other good penetrants, and patience, are about all you need to have to start out.
    I could give you more in the way of a philosophy lesson towards approaching the rebirth of the truck, but won't. Just set aside the desire for instant gratification, and you'll do the right thing.

You should look at pulling the motor apart before throwing it on the road, IMO. When an engine sits that long, the crank journals tend to develop a fine layer of corrosion, causing them to wear out the bearings with exceptional speed. The cylinder bores also tend to have rust in them above the pistons (especially the cylinders that sat with a valve open) and could stand a re-hone and re-ringing at a minimum. Plus you'll want to clean out the pan and drop in a new oil pump and head gasket. You'll also want to replace the rear main seal, clutch and clutch hydraulics as well. The pan has to come off for the rear main seal. The carb and fuel pump will most definitely need rebuilding or replacement, too.

It could be a very cheap rebuild, all things considered, if you can get it freed up. As for the rest, well, clean, paint, reseal and lube.

And yes, it's good to be excited! It sounds like you have a gem in the rough there.

Mech
    1960 SII 88 NADA HT w/OD and HEAT!!

former pro Series mechanic

whoa on the conversion! and not cuz i'm a purist. if you got an ex-mod then you probably don't have freewheeling front hubs. you everything is lock up could be a simple thing. get into nuetral, remove a prop shaft or two. try and find out what specifically stuck
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Thanks again everyone for your help. I am definitely going to do a classic restoration. Over the next week or two I am going to take stock of my rover and try to see the depth of restoration that the engine, trans etc.. will need. Then I will start a new thread (hopefuly with pictures) becasue I am sure I will have tons of questions that could also help others.

Before restoration, just go for refurbishment. Make it safe for the road (as much as a Series Rover can be) and take care of the pressing maintenance issues. Then drive the thing and develop an attachment before you spend any real money. The last thing the world needs is another half-completed Rover project.

Actually, the last thing my garage needs is another half-completed Rover project. Your mileage may vary.

I'm with Alaska Mike on this. You'll have enough on your plate just getting it ready for the road.

Driving a Series Rover is something of an endurance test for the uninitiated. You should really see if it suits you before you drop big bucks into it. You may find that you love looking at it, but dread driving it. I've seen it happen before...

Maybe someone local to you has a Series Rover that you can test drive first?

Mech
    1960 SII 88 NADA HT w/OD and HEAT!!

former pro Series mechanic

Lets see some pics. Cant wait to see it.
    1967 SERIES 2A 88

Quote Originally Posted by mechman
    You may find that you love looking at it, but dread driving it. I've seen it happen before...
    Hmm, sounds familiar I've loved my Rover since I was 12 and it belonged to a family friend, but... I think I've been spoiled by newer British tech (read: my B )

To the original poster, I have to say - do what you have to do to get it on the road, but don't put in on a Jeep drivetrain. You're going to have enough hell just getting it going as is - a swap will take forever and be very expensive and annoying if you do it yourself, and probably just as bad to get someone else to do it

And post pics