Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Pictures of the New Gray Rover (my new project)

Default More Pictures of the New Gray Rover (my new project)

Last edited by Bostonian1976; 01-07-2007 at 08:23 PM.

You are a braver person than I Gunga Dien

I really don't think it is that bad for one from the north east. I've seen quite a few people start with projects that are in a worse state. The chassis is shot but when I go looking for LRs I factor that into my price- every truck I've found would require a new chassis. When he is done he'll have a fair chunk of $ in it as well as time but he'll be intimately familiar with every aspect of its build. I really don't think it will be a bad project. A labor of love- sure! But an rewarding one.

What is the alternative- part it out? I think that would be a shame for one as complete and unmolested as this.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

The upper portion is in better shape than mine when I began. Your chassis and bulkhead, tho', are going to be replaced. They look bad, but since you know you're going to be replacing them from the outset, then you can disregard those and concentrate on the rest of it, which is complete.

Get a chassis, some new springs and shocks. Get the body off the old, pull the driveline bits, tackle the axles and get them under the new chassis so it's rolling, and get the rest of the driveline in place while the body isn't in the way. Run your wiring and brake-lines then, too. Get the rear tub ready and get it into place. By then, you should have located a replacement bulkhead, and can get it in. At that point, you'll be into all the little fiddlin' nigglin' things... The breakfast and wings and doors almost pop right on, don't worry about them, it's all the other little things that will take up time.

Of course, once you've got the bulkhead off, you could repair it, but looking at the photos, I would think you'd be best served locating a replacement. IMHO, FWIW....

Enjoy!
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

The biggest thing I'd be worried about on the Bulkhead is the drip rail where the hood meets it- it looks like this truck might have been parked where crap collected and rusted it there thanks to leaves or other bits of moisture absorbing crap. My trucks were A-OK in that area because they were parked for years out in the open. The other rust inside looks like scaly superficial rust- remember flash photography brings out every blemish no matter how small and makes it look like hell.

The door posts will likely need new bottoms and the footwells need replacing but that is pretty much SOP...

Land Rover UK Forums

I'll certainly be familiar with the truck when I'm done...that's for sure!!

The more I looked it over, the more I realized that the outside probably received a bad repaint at some point a long time ago. The wheels are gray but so are bits of the tires The gas cap is also painted over in gray. The inside, however....definitely does not look repainted so I think the gray is original....someone just decided to do a semi-sloppy job on the outside probably when the truck was getting a little long in the tooth in their eyes. At least they didn't paint the galvi!

The best part of all those pictures? Look at the inspection sticker in the windshield on the first shot............1980!!

Default New Gray Rover

Boy that brings back memories. Except for the color that looks (minus the rust) exactly like my first one. I am somewhat jealous but you do have your hands full. Best of luck and keep us posted on the progress.
    Jim

Do you have any history on it? I noticed it hasn't been on the road since 1980 when i looked at the pics. Wonder what happened? something catastrophic?

My IIa hadn't been on the road since ~1985 when i got it. The PO said he started it one day and it "just quit"

Once I got it home and tried to start it I found out the engine would turn over but the distributor wouldn't turn. Upon further investigation I discovered the pad that the timing belt rides on had come loose and become lodged int he camshaft gear and then broken the end off the camshaft. So that was the end of that!

Land Rover UK Forums

yikes! Hopefully something like that is not the case here. No history on it other than the fact that it sat in PA for a long, long time...I actually bought it for parts for 600 bucks, but upon closer inspection realized that it would be worth salvaging. I'm going to try to start it next weekend and see how it goes. It'll be amazing if it starts! Can't imagine the clanging and rust that will come out of the tailpipe!
    Last edited by Bostonian1976; 01-11-2007 at 08:50 AM.

You might be surprised! I've started up quite a few engines that were sitting for decades and as long as they aren't truly set up they've all started with just a little has poured down the carby.

$600 was a good price for it. IMHO. A good deal because it doesn't have the typically crunched fenders and PO bodge jobs. The only thing I see that looks changed is the starter button.

I know of 2 or 3 similar trucks in my area, your post has given me some motivation- I'm going on a mission this spring to buy them.

Land Rover UK Forums