Thread: 2.5 NA Use of 12 volt turbo

Default 2.5 NA Use of 12 volt turbo

I was contemplating using a 12 volt electric turbo on a 2.5 NA diesel for a small power boost. Has anyone done this or know anyone that has? I know that this engine has cast vs forged pistons so mehanical turbo is out the question. I read a little about these units but the info pertains to petrol application.
    Thanks
    Bruce

boost doesn't make much difference unless you up the fueling on a diesel and then you run into temp issues. Boost alone won't help you

You'd probably be better off just finding a TDI to begin with. I believe the 2.5 has head or gasket issues when turboed. Not sure if a cast piston is going to know the difference between an electric turbo or a machanical. 5 lbs of boost is 5 lbs of boost.
    Jason T.

a 200tdi wil bolt right up to your existing bell housing & motor mounts and the wirng harness will also plug right in. Should only take an afternoon to do a swap and it will totally transform your truck. Those work with just under 1 bar of boost so 12-14lbs.