Thread: ELECTRICAL PROBLEM D-90

Default ELECTRICAL PROBLEM D-90

I have been having electrical problems for some time. I had the fuel pump replaced in september. Every since, The truck does not want to hold a charge in the battery. I replaced the battery with an Optima deep cycle battery. Didn't cure it. Had a mechanic hook up his computer to the electrical system, shoed it was fine. I then proceeded to removed the positive cable from the battery to see if it was still arcing across, possibly having a draw from somewhere in the truck. Then checked evey fuse, still was arcing a charge across the battery. Then unhooked the alternator, still shows an arc, draining from somewhere. So, my uncle who was helping me with this said it was probably 1 of 2 things. ignition or starter drawing juice somehow. Any suggestions on what to do next? I apologize for any incorrect terminology I used here, I'm not all that mechanical. I do however would like to solve it without having to go to a land rover dealer @ $90/hour to figure it out. I have a 94 defender 90. Any help thanks.

Sorry sounds like the reason I sold my d90 efi.... electrical bs until you either go mad or broke.

You might want to check out the fuel and ignition relays located on the passenger side footwell, they have this nice tendency to short out and die mysteriously.

Good Luck Hunting...

If the problem did in fact occurr as soon as the fuel pump was replaced it is most likely that the troucle is related to the fuel pump. As suggested above carefull check the pump relay as the dieing pump could have damaged the relay/wiring.

John

I seemed to have the same problems and fought with it on my 95 D90 and my mechanic found that the alternator belt was not tight enough. Simple fix for mind baffling problem. Hope it works for you!!!
    Joshua

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I am having similar issues.