Thread: Engine Removal

Default Engine Removal

Where is the best place to attach the chains to pull the engine? Everything is off and ready to go. I just don't want to damage anything.
    Thanks

there are two lift points on the 2.25 petrol that i know of and they are near worthless. the two metal plates are anchored to the side of the head with two 5/16 bolts each but the plates have thin slots that my chain hooks wouldn't fit into. you can get a 5/16 bolt through these slots and bolt your chain on. the rear one is to the left side on the firewall side of the head and the fore one to the right side of the radiator side of the head.

before i drop mine back in i'm fab'n some new plates that will accomidate a hook.

enjoy having it out. mines been on a stand for a while. i use it as therapy. it is just about ready to go back in, looks new and because of that i feel compelled to clean and paint the engine compartment another few hour of therapy.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Default shackles

put a shackle through the slot and attach the chain hook to the shackle.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

Thanks. I found the rear lifting point. The front one must have disappeared over the years. I noticed in the Haynes book that they used rope to pull it.

you can put a sling under the front just behind the main pulley. also I have bolted chain directly to the head, just make sure the bolts are in good condition.

hue did ya get it out?

i'm so close to done. just the carb and oil sump cover to go!

i said i was going to make new lift points that will make the next r/r easier. my rear lift point has that skinning slot and 3 holes. the 2 right under the slot are for the bolts. does anyone know what the bottom hole was for?
    '76 Spitfire 1500

I pulled it out earlier this morning with a forklift. No problems. Its pretty easy when there is nothing left but the frame. That third bolt hole on my engine has a metal cable bracket mounted on it.

mmm, i wonder what went in that cable clamp. do you think it was the starter cable?
    '76 Spitfire 1500

It is a tiny copper line, probably the oil pressure feed.