Thread: 90 RRC not cranking over-

Default 90 RRC not cranking over-

So I jinxed myself the other day saying the old RRC has been running well all winter long.

Today if left me stranded - I turn the key- I can hear the fuel pump turn on , the dashboard lights up, but the starter doesn't crank.

Any pointers- Is it a start relay?

Can I jump the starter with a screw driver across the terminal with the key on to start it and drive it home?

Thanks,
    Tim

Put it in Park.

Do you get a click? Try hitting the starter motor while someone turns the key. I've had that on a couple of my V8s.

If it works, replace the starter.

Might be a bad ground connection from the battery. Check the battery to frame ground for a good clean and tight connection. Might also check the frame to engine ground.

A temporary work around might be to take some jumper cables and connect the negative terminal on the battery to the frame, and then try starting the truck. It worked for me.

Good luck!
    Former owner of 1967 Series IIA 109 NADA
    1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7
    1995 Range Rover Classic SWB