Thread: D90 - Houston

Question D90 - Houston

Hi Everyone,

I guess I could call myself a new member, but I've been lurking in the shadows for a while just reading up. I have a '95 D90 with about 125k miles on it. From the records on the vehicle it has gone through a few owners but very well maintained. The previous owners kept good records and it looks like he did a full brake job, replaced the belts and a few other small things.

I thought someone here might be able to help me, but I need to do a couple of things.

First, I'd like to change the brake pads. They squeal pretty bad and it's getting annoying. Any recommendations on good pads?

Second, the brake pedal feels a little loose (not the brakes, but the actual pedal) It moves about an inch or two side to side, is this 'normal' or does anyone else have this issue? I was looking for some bolts to tighten, but the firewall is so close to the brake that I can't see in there. Any suggestions?

Lastly, I have yet to really take it off road because I haven't had it fully checked out, suspension, etc.... I've never replaced my own shocks or built a transmission or anything,(not a grease monkey by any means) so I was thinking about taking it to the dealership to have them check it out? Bad Idea? I need to have the air conditioning recharged, all fluids changed, etc... so I trust the dealership.

Thanks for any info!!!

Don't everyone answer at once...........

Anyone...........

Beuler.......Beuler...............

brake pads are really easy to change, you just pull the wheel off and then you can see the two pins holing the pads into the caliper. take the pins out, and replace with the pad locators in the correct positions. look to rovers north for pads.

before you have your truck serviced at a dealer check around for local private rover shops near you, they will likely know the defenders better and be a bit cheaper.

shocks are easy on your truck too, but only replace them if you truck is bouncing a lot or you see fluid dripping out of them. if you do need to change the shocks Rovers North has Pro Comp and Old Man Emu both of which sound fine for your application. the bolts that hold the shocks on can get rusted and stuck so spray PB blaster or Liquid wrench on them every day for a week or so before you do the swap it will make your life easier.

As far as the brake pedal play, I would see if there are bushings in the pedal assembly where the pedal pivots, RN can help you with the tech there. I believe if you have some one move the pedal side to side in the truck and you look under the hood at the top of the pedal assembly you will be able to see slack in the system. I have an older defender pedal assembly on my truck and there is a round plastic cover over a hole on the side of the pedal assembly that covers where a pin goes.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by tryitalltwice
    Second, the brake pedal feels a little loose (not the brakes, but the actual pedal) It moves about an inch or two side to side, is this 'normal' or does anyone else have this issue? I was looking for some bolts to tighten, but the firewall is so close to the brake that I can't see in there. Any suggestions?
    I would get to the bottom of this issue before I drove it a mile. If the pin is sliding out one side, you may find it will bind, if not completely drop off and then have no brakes.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm going to do the brakes myself and will adjust the pedal at the same time. The shocks seem pretty godda nd there is definitely no bounce.

Thanks!!

How did it go replacing your own brakes? I am considering it and don't want to start something I cannot finish.

Quote Originally Posted by tryitalltwice
    Lastly, I have yet to really take it off road because I haven't had it fully checked out, suspension, etc.... I've never replaced my own shocks or built a transmission or anything,(not a grease monkey by any means) so I was thinking about taking it to the dealership to have them check it out? Bad Idea? I need to have the air conditioning recharged, all fluids changed, etc... so I trust the dealership.

Thanks for any info!!!
    If you haven't found a good shop yet....
    In 1994 I bought my new D-90 in Houston at Barney Garver Land Rover on Old Katy road.. I had it serviced regularly there and was always well taken care of by the service manager, Vic.
    Fifteen years later, he is still taking care of my Rover, however he has his own shop: The Rover Shoppe on Taft St. near downtown Houston...
    The guys there go out of their way to do things right with fair prices and they have kept mine running great (now with over 140,000 miles).
    They even got it back in shape after it sat in 39" of bay water during Hurricane Ike.
    They really know Land Rovers. You should just stop by the shop and check it out... Here is their link...
    http://www.rovershoppe.com/
    Mike