Thread: HEADLIGHT AUTO SHUTOFF

Question HEADLIGHT AUTO SHUTOFF

I recently killed my battery by accidentally forgetting to turn off my headlights on my 2000 RR HSK. 4.6. The headlight switch is a big ol' 'stove knob' looking affair. I was wondering if there is any relay I can install that will automatically shut the lights off after a short while. I don't want to keep draining batteries, and embarrassingly, I suspect I will continue to occasionally forget to turn the lights off. Yup, it's part of my charm. LOL

It seems very odd for a luxury car that cost's so much, to not have a simple feature on the headlight circuit to protect against being inadvertantly left on, when most other cars of much lesser cost have the same feature as standard equipment. But it does encourage me to believe there is a 'fix' for it, also.

Thanks in advance to any and all responses,

Donagh/Connecticut

Default Auto Shutoff Feature

So here's the scenario: It's 2 A.M., you have had a rough day and not made it out off the trails due to unforeseen complications, you've got the winch cable pulled all the way out to find a anchor point, it's raining, your standing waist deep in mud, no lights anywhere except for the head lights on your Rover, and then the Auto Shutoff Feature kicks in. LOL

What kind of luxury automobile would it be if it left you in the dark? Wait, does Lucas still make the electronics for these newer models?

A good non technical fix may be tying a string from your keychain to the fuse that the lights operate off of. Then unless you get in the habit of leaving your keys in the ignition too you should be alright.

Rod

Having driven and rebuilt a number of MGs, and Triumphs over the years, (including a 73 TR6 that curently sits next to my Range Rover in the garage) I clearly understand your feelings about Lucas, and am reminded of the old joke: Q. 'Why do the British drink warm beer?' A. 'Because Lucas makes refrigerators.' It is kinda creepy though, to see them still behind the curve when it comes to auto electronics basics like a headlight switch.

As far as the winch/mud scenario goes, the majority of RR owners never get much further 'off road' than parking on the grass at their kids soccer games. And off-road or not, when a car costs, between $60,000 and $70,000 (2000 prices; the new ones can cost upwards of $86,000) it should offer more than a primative light switch for it's headlights. Especially when at the same time it offers a sophisticated 'electronic air suspension' system in the same vehicle.

So i guess your string theory (no, not that one) sounds like the best I'm gonna do. LOL I can't help thinking however, that there is a relay that can be plugged into the one of the fuse blocks which will protect the light circuit.

Oh well, I still love the car. I guess I'll just have to be a bit more diligent.

Donagh

Seriously you should be able to get a relay for the fuse, or splice a relay in line just after the fuse box. I think Lucas even make one with a delay... in my 94 Classic, the circuit board that controls the windows, one of the relays allows you to roll up the windows after the vehicle is turned off... but only for a short amount of time. Your best bet would likely be going down to an auto parts store and checking out the electronics section, it might be easier than using old Rover parts.

Cheers
    Rod

Purchase a "battery tender" and hook it up. It is that simple. It turns off some power to your vehicle if in case you leave your lights on and should not affect your vehicle by resetting it and it stops your battery from being drained. It think they are under $50 and very simple to install.

Hang on guys!

Doesn't it provide an alarm if the lights are left on when the ignition kety is removed?