Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 83 Toyota 109 wheel base- Any examples of Series transplants

Default 83 Toyota 109 wheel base- Any examples of Series transplants

Look like the early 80's toyota Hilux long bed pickup is a 109 wheel base

I have a 109 series body that might drop right on? Fenders, hood and cab is a different story I am sure...

I guess I could always do 1/2 (keep the toyo cab and 1/2 rover and have a real ugly truck.. A toyrover

Any examples out there of a 83 or early 80's toyota 109 wheel base used as the chassis with a complete land rover 109 body dropped on it?

There is a nice 83 toyota long bed for sale with updated suspension, nice tires, runs great but rusty bed that might be a good base...

Wondering if the front fenders length, width of hood is close to the same dimensions?

Any insight would be appreciated...

Thanks,
    Tim

Default 83 toyrover hybrid underway

Quote Originally Posted by TCapelle
    Look like the early 80's toyota Hilux long bed pickup is a 109 wheel base

I have a 109 series body that might drop right on? Fenders, hood and cab is a different story I am sure...

I guess I could always do 1/2 (keep the toyo cab and 1/2 rover and have a real ugly truck.. A toyrover

Any examples out there of a 83 or early 80's toyota 109 wheel base used as the chassis with a complete land rover 109 body dropped on it?

There is a nice 83 toyota long bed for sale with updated suspension, nice tires, runs great but rusty bed that might be a good base...

Wondering if the front fenders length, width of hood is close to the same dimensions?

Any insight would be appreciated...

Thanks,
    Tim
    Went ahead and picked up the toyota 83 long bed to be used as the chassis for the 67 11a 109 hybrid. The toyota has the disc brake set up and 67 K miles on the dependable 22R motor.

After measuring it up and consulting with my far more talented welder friend we think we can make it work.

The 83 toyota is a 110 chassis wheel base which actually helps the rear wheel be a little more centered in the wheel well of my 109.

The fenders are 45" long just like my 109. The width on the vehicle is also very close...

We plan on taking the bulkhead side and top frame/dash and fitting it to the toyota existing cowl/firewall dash. We will splice into the toyota cab floor (remove the toyota caband cut at the A posts... by dropping the 109 body, winshield etc from the seat boxes back keeping the floor bardd frame of the 109 and splicing into the toyota floor frame...

Well on paper and with the tape measure it looks feasible but we both know it will be a lot of work and there will be plenty of "to solves" along the way... I'll keep this thread updated as we go- No hurry probably a year plus project....

-Tim

This will be fun to see.

so a toy frame and running gear with a rover body, sounds interesting. it should make a good off roader. there are a ton of aftermarket parts and gear reduction kits . you could make the truck run 37's and have a crawl ratio of 120:1. the rear shafts are pretty strong stock, but the front you will need to upgrade to longfields. they garentee their axles for free replacement on tires up to 42" tall. I am excited to see what you do.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Make sure to reinforce the Toyota longbed chassis in the center sections. Mine used to flex like a mad dog on really long steep hill climbs. The camper shell would hit the cab fierce. I guess it will be a mute point anyway, as the 109 body is one piece. Sounds like a fun build, please keep it going and post away!

[sorry, not an example photo of what you are looking for...] here's my old 1982 Toyota Long bed 4WD with proper off-road tires. Goodyear XTs terra tires for farming, 11.50 x 15s at the TOP of that really steep hillclimb in Hollister Hills, CA .

Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

I've seen a 109 on a Toyota Chassis up in BC in Canada. Seemed to work well except for the frame flex. The wagon body isn't that rigid.
    Regards
    Gord'n Perrott
    Seattle
    Gord'n Perrott
    Lamorna Garage Seattle

Default 83 Toyrover update- Pics-

So here is an update on the 109 2 door body swap on a 83 toyota longbox chassis.
    We went at this a bit differently using the toyota firewall, wiring,etc...

Looks like we will pull it off- The hood will need to have a little snout added but it will be an upgraded "little Frankenstein" rover...

thats gonna be crazy looking
    aaron
    73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
    67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
    88 RRC sold
    60 mga coupe

Default Toyota

I found this sometime ago. http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?1...3-Chevy-Engine

It looks like a nice truck to me.
    Jim Wolf

I have a couple 22RE’s hanging about that I have been thinking about replacing my 2.5NA with. Only problem is that toyota transmission-transfer case assembly is way too long for a 90.
    67 angry hamsters