Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cant get my 95 swb rr out of park ! help !

The lock out solenoid is found on the side of the shift lever "box". To access, and remove the solenoid, you must remove the center console surround. Not sure how this accomplished on a 95 as I have avoided that year as much as possible. I assume that you have to disassemble the shift lever, then pry up the position indicator bezel and dig down thru there until you expose the plate that the shifter box sits in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1229_021020880.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	8984

Undo the screws from the side plate (6) and pop that sucker out. You don't need to mess with anything else in there. You can just leave the loose solenoid in the console in case you ever want to return it to original.

I removed the parking lock solenoid when I got home.
    so let me get this straight - one can just remove the solenoid without having to do anything else and not have to worry again about the stupid lock out situation??

94LWB
    One Life Live It

Yes... Follow the picture put up by "o2" and Bob's Your Uncle.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Many thanks.

Best regards.
    One Life Live It

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    The lock out solenoid is found on the side of the shift lever "box". To access, and remove the solenoid, you must remove the center console surround. Not sure how this accomplished on a 95 as I have avoided that year as much as possible. I assume that you have to disassemble the shift lever, then pry up the position indicator bezel and dig down thru there until you expose the plate that the shifter box sits in.

Name:	1229_021020880.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	8984

Undo the screws from the side plate (6) and pop that sucker out. You don't need to mess with anything else in there. You can just leave the loose solenoid in the console in case you ever want to return it to original.

I have '95 classic SWB.
    I removed the solenoid, while I had the gear selector out. Now the transfer case selector will not move from "LOW". I have only "HI or LOW" selection. Do I need to jumper any wires or how the transfer case know that I am in neutral? I did lube the linkages. I did search on other forums and found nothing about this problem.
    Thank you very much for reply.

Yes there is a solenoid that locks the selector lever whenever the shifter is not in P or N.

Thank you for reply. Is the solenoid I removed controlling it?
    Something happened. I bought the truck @6 months ago and never tried to shift in LOW and maybe the person before me did not either. Could it be just stuck from lack of use?

Is the solenoid I removed controlling it?
    No There is another one on the transfer case shift lever base. It's held in place with M8 Allen head cap screws.
    Could it be just stuck from lack of use?
    Yes, absolutely. It's easiest to access from the top, so if you have the center console out still, this is the time to go after it. You will need the nylon bushes for the link pins. They tend to go to pieces. RN Part #RND648.
    The rod ends may also be rusted. You can get new ones from McMaster-Carr.

Thank you again and for the details! I have it all together but will do it again. Will post, when fixed.

Name:	Gear selector.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	9479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Transfer case shift.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	9480

Finally got it fixed! Turns out, that the linkage was not frozen. There is a one out of two microswitches, tied to the circuit that tells the transmission that is in neutral. Did not have to take the center console apart the third time, if I new. Live and learn. I spliced the two wires to unused air coil control switch and now I can shift with ease from LOW to HI. There are two yellow relays behind the glove box, the far left is the one and the far right is for the solenoid on the top of the transfer case, just for audible alarm.