Thread: Why won't the transfer case work!!??!!

Default Why won't the transfer case work!!??!!

Talk me down off of the ledge.....

Just bolted in a Hi-ratio xfer case into my IIA- The intermediate shaft helical gear DOES NOT CONTACT THE INPUT GEAR from the transmission!!

What am I missing here? The intermediate gear meshes with the output shaft, and I even swapped the old int. shaft back in and still no go (literally). Is there a different input gear? Is the case different (in the spacing for the intermediate shaft?) Can the input shaft be cocked?
    There is currently a 1/16th of an inch gap between the gears.

Does the generation of gearbox mean anything? FWIW, I can't find any suffix stamp (where should it be? How big is it?)

Thanks for the help, I don't thinks there is a Solihull Crisis hotline...

-hackneyed1

Default Hi Ratio Case

In order to make the ratio different, the gears have to be different diameters (from stock). Thus the high ratio t-case requires a custom mainshaft gear, which you apparently dont have. You are trying to use a stock mainshaft/input gear with the high ratio case. You need to find/buy the matching input gear.

Quote Originally Posted by hackneyed1
    Talk me down off of the ledge.....

Just bolted in a Hi-ratio xfer case into my IIA- The intermediate shaft helical gear DOES NOT CONTACT THE INPUT GEAR from the transmission!!

What am I missing here?
    The Ashcroft gearbox output gear?

Ashcroft high ratio kit as delivered directly from Ashcroft

The Ashcroft high ratio kit consists of a reworked case (hole for intermediate gear shaft moved over a little), a new gear set and a transfercase gasket set. All the other parts get reused from your old transfer case.

You need all three gears from the kit. If you don't have the missing gear you might as well jump.

Did you perhaps buy this 2nd hand from someone who was perhaps going to put it behind a SM435 or something?
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums