Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Found One!

A shiny paint job over rust holes in various parts and what appears to be a patched up series 3 frame is exactly the truck you do NOT want to buy. It appears you are going for the shiny paint job special-exactly what you have been advised not to do. Hopefully the mechanical will check out for you, at least you will have that going for you, however plan on needing a frame shortly down the road, if in fact that truck still has its original one with patches on it.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Appreciate all the insight as usual folks.

the deal we've struck leaves me with a nice out should the local mechanic see anything that concerns him - as we all know its hard to tell from pictures.

The deposit I gave the current owner is less than what a weekend and 16 hour round trip drive w/ a rented trailer would have cost me - plus its clear that I still don't know what I'm looking at so I'd need a local expert anyway. At least this way I don't have to take off work or lose a weekend.

Bertha - curious where you see patches on the frame so I can learn what to look for. Again, pictures arn't great, but it looked better to me than many I've seen in person recently.

At the end of the day, if Sean feels good about the frame and engine then I have to decide what I think about the rest of the criticisms here. The deal was for a price I felt good about so it may stand.

I've looked at trucks that are supposedly in good mechanical shape and running well but that need a body overhaul - even for the difference in cash, I had to ask myself I were up to the job. Without a garage and spraying tools, I decide that a good paint job was worth something to me - so long as its not masking serious issues (again, something I decided I was willing to pay a professional to help me diagnose).

anyway...guess I'll see what pans out

I have to be the devil's advocate here. People are so quick to say a frame is junk. Frames can be nursed along for a long time with a good welder.

That being said, I wouldn't pay over $6000 for a truck that does not have a galvanized frame on the East Coast.

Oh and I bought my truck sight unseen for $3500 with no pre-inspection and it is a great Series. It can happen. Deals are out there, bide your time and don't be in a hurry.
    74 SIII
    96 Disco SE-7 5 Spd.

From the picture it appears that there is a riveted on patch on the passenger side of the tub where one of the seat belt supports rotted the aluminum out. Also I can't see the original rivets where the other supports would have been so I would assume that those holes/possible other rotted out spots have been bondoed over. Not the end of the world, actually pretty much par for the course for a Series III, but also not a great thing. I have a '72 as well and have ended up replacing the tub with a Series II because of the rot that those seat belt supports cause. They turned my tub into swiss cheese on the sides and under the rear seats.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson
    I decide that a good paint job was worth something to me - so long as its not masking serious issues (again, something I decided I was willing to pay a professional to help me diagnose).
    What's you're definition of a good paint job? Because that rover doesn't have one...?

If 49 is right, then are you prepared to find another tub, replace it, and then repaint it to match the already craptacular existing paint job?

Add that to a dodgy frame and that's a 3k truck at best, less inspection fees..

As always I appreciate the constructive advice. Maybe the mechanic in NC will have something positive to say but it sounds like I'll get out for a few hundred and a slightly dented pride.

Thanks again gang
    -N

Default Be cautious, not fearful

Quote Originally Posted by galen216
    Oh and I bought my truck sight unseen for $3500 with no pre-inspection and it is a great Series. It can happen. Deals are out there, bide your time and don't be in a hurry.
    Ditto here, I paid $3000 sight unseen. After many phone calls, emails and photos, I had developed a good relationship with the buyer and my gut told me he was being honest with me. I went for it and my gut was right.

Sure, my truck needed some work but the only time he left me stranded was because I didn't change the coolant hoses when I knew good and darned well they were on their way out. I'm still in progress and taking it slowly. And I don't have any fancy equipment, welders and such. I'm working with just basic hand tools and a lot of courage and determination. AND I'm a 5' tall runt of a girl! So don't be so down on yourself, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to successfully own a Series.
    1966 IIa - ex-MOD, ex-FFR, ex-24v
    1997 Discovery SE7 - I'm empty inside without her

I think the truck looks alright. it will need door tops, and maybe some little things, but it woes not appear to be too hacked together. the frame looks like it could be ok. you should have it waxoyled right away, or just plan on having to do a frame swap. its likely worth 6000 if the motor and tranny are ok. you should have your guy drive it and make sure reverse and first gear are ok aka not too loud.

Quote Originally Posted by galen216
    I have to be the devil's advocate here. People are so quick to say a frame is junk. Frames can be nursed along for a long time with a good welder.
    Not series 3 frames

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson
    Appreciate all the insight as usual folks.

Bertha - curious where you see patches on the frame so I can learn what to look for. Again, pictures arn't great, but it looked better to me than many I've seen in person recently.
    outrigger in pic looks to have a patch on it.