Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Found One!

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson
    As always I appreciate the constructive advice. Maybe the mechanic in NC will have something positive to say but it sounds like I'll get out for a few hundred and a slightly dented pride.

Thanks again gang
    -N
    No need for wounded pride. This is all part of the process-we have all been there. I just dont want to see you end up with a hunk-o-$#%t that will make you regret buying your first Land Rover. I will say(again)that based on what you have laid out in the past threads on what you are looking for/to do with the truck, you may be better off upping your $ to a 10K truck. In that range you should be able to find one with a galve frame at the very least.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha
    No need for wounded pride. This is all part of the process-we have all been there. I just dont want to see you end up with a hunk-o-$#%t that will make you regret buying your first Land Rover. I will say(again)that based on what you have laid out in the past threads on what you are looking for/to do with the truck, you may be better off upping your $ to a 10K truck. In that range you should be able to find one with a galve frame at the very least.
    Thanks - I agree, the last thing I want is a problem Rover that will sour the experience.

$10K is out of the question for us right now - but I'm beginning to believe that is realistic for a galvy frame and a truck that I would not be embarrassed to drive to work or park outside my house. ... need to think about what that means for me.

WOW people are really picking this rover apart. Just from the photos if this rig came up for sale in my area it would be a real gem. Rovers were once numerous in my region now there are fewer and fewer. I had looked under a lot of them and all frames, bulks etc were cheese. Except of one which I would have bought but the seller was a prick!! so I passed on it Sight unseen is definately a fine line. It took me over 12 years...... (of looking on and off) to find my first truck and the one I bought, I bought pretty much sight unseen. I actually bought a plane ticket to go see it for the first time (and buy it) I then drove it home almost 600miles through the Canadian Rockies, but only after numerous emails and additional photos to the owner and his Rover Mech. The truck I considered prior to mine based on nice looking photos had more patches than a patchwork quilt plus crossmember rot and with an engine/drivetrain that looked as if they had been dipped in a tar pit. Why complain about the quality of the paint job, if it is not a show piece then who cares. looks better then faded paint with patches of bare aluminum IMO. yes it may need a few things here and there but correct me if I am wrong, Don't all series trucks need a few things here and there, thats why we love'em so much right. If it checks out that it is mechanically sound and the frame/bulkhead is solid and you think the price is fair when I would buy it. But if the frame is crap and the mechanicals need work when I would just keep the photos and keep looking. That comes from my experiences of looking for a series truck in my area.
    1966 SIIa 88"
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Best thing about working in the northern Canadian bush at -40, very few Black Flies!

I will reiterate because you keep digging up these eastern gems. Look west. Find something that you wont have to mess with. This one has a lot of rust and has clearly had even more in the past. Was just at an event with 20+ series rovers here on the west coast and there wasnt a rust hole among them.

I don't know if what Bertha is saying about series III frames being more rust prone than other frames is true or not, but my series III frame is what I would consider to be pretty solid despite having the outriggers replaced and I just replaced the rear crossmember. I realize that statement seems a bit contradictory, but to explain further, the outriggers take the brunt of everything the front tires throw at them, same for the rear crossmember(mine was also repeatedly dunked in sal****er by the PO putting his boat in the water). I don't think that it is unreasonable that these areas of the frame can be in less than ideal condition, but the rest of the frame still be sound. Mine is and I know that it is because I looked inside it when I replaced the rear crossmember. Of course it was also filled with a ton of Waxoyl, but the point is that I don't think that damaged outriggers/rear crossmember automatically equals dead frame. Is a galvy chassis the best solution? Of course it is for any rover, but if the frame rails are in good condition, the repairs have been done well, and you take care of it, it can be perfectly serviceable. Just my 2c.

I would say that if you have a knowledgeable person physically look at it and check it out and it will meet your needs then go ahead. Most importantly you will know it's faults and therefore you can make an informed decision to buy or pass. I don't know the price of the latest one but it doesn't look all that bad to me. The most important part is having someone you trust give you an honest assessment. A perfect Series Rover appears to be out of your realistic price range. I say let someone look at it before you move ahead or pass.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by vkjar
    WOW people are really picking this rover apart. Just from the photos if this rig came up for sale in my area it would be a real gem. Rovers were once numerous in my region now there are fewer and fewer. I had looked under a lot of them and all frames, bulks etc were cheese. Except of one which I would have bought but the seller was a prick!! so I passed on it Sight unseen is definately a fine line. It took me over 12 years...... (of looking on and off) to find my first truck and the one I bought, I bought pretty much sight unseen. I actually bought a plane ticket to go see it for the first time (and buy it) I then drove it home almost 600miles through the Canadian Rockies, but only after numerous emails and additional photos to the owner and his Rover Mech. The truck I considered prior to mine based on nice looking photos had more patches than a patchwork quilt plus crossmember rot and with an engine/drivetrain that looked as if they had been dipped in a tar pit. Why complain about the quality of the paint job, if it is not a show piece then who cares. looks better then faded paint with patches of bare aluminum IMO. yes it may need a few things here and there but correct me if I am wrong, Don't all series trucks need a few things here and there, thats why we love'em so much right. If it checks out that it is mechanically sound and the frame/bulkhead is solid and you think the price is fair when I would buy it. But if the frame is crap and the mechanicals need work when I would just keep the photos and keep looking. That comes from my experiences of looking for a series truck in my area.
    Paint is important depending on where you live. In Chicago, I'd never even consider getting a rover with a suspect paint job - rust.

I think everyone is picking apart the rover is because the OP has no experience. He asked for help and I think it's better everyone is being critical than cavalier. A 6k mistake that takes another 6k to fix is a tough pill to swallow.

for 6K you should be able to find a truck that has no rust issues, end of story. It may have other mechanical/cosmetic probs but shouldnt have rust.

One thing no one has mentioned is why the seller has no photos of the engine compartment or the drivetrain, he has photos of most everything else yet No Engine bay photos. Most of the nit picking seems to be with the body. yes rust and galvanic corrosion is an issue on these trucks but from what i see and have seen in the past (in my area) this one is better than most. Over and above finding a good body I would rather have clean solid mechanicals/electrics etc, things that actually make the truck go.
    1966 SIIa 88"
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Best thing about working in the northern Canadian bush at -40, very few Black Flies!

Quote Originally Posted by vkjar
    I would rather have clean solid mechanicals/electrics etc, things that actually make the truck go.
    Thats been a top criteria - could not agree more. If I wasn't having an independent inspection then I would not have have even contacted the CO without those pics. When we spoke she said she'd take some (along with the drivers side, which is also undocumented) - but, given that she was more than willing to let it be inspected told me that she thinks its in good shape.

She has outsourced all the work on it - it may not have crossed her mind to take engine compartment pics. Or...maybe she omitted them for a reason ... I'll know pretty soon (fingers crossed)